Thriving After Ileostomy Surgery: My Experience

Replies
Views
Danno

Update to my surgery

I have a laparoscopic ileostomy after 6 years of severe UC. Doc said I'm 100% healthy now that they removed the colon. I think they were right :) My life has never been this good. I hate the bag, but my life is so good now it's hard to hate.

In the last week, I went a little crazy. As soon as I got the green light from my surgeon (6 weeks in) to go back to "normal," I did everything I could to push myself (within reason).

I know it's different how we all respond to fitness/food/drink, etc., but maybe my experience can give some hope.

Food: I'm an idiot and barely chew my food, but it all comes out somehow? Even had a few scares where I swallowed larger pieces than planned and everything comes out as paste.

Drinks: Whether it's sugary, carbonated, whatever... no issues.

Alcohol: This week I had wine, hard liquor, beer (draft and can) and nothing caused any changes. In fact, I actually slept through the night without gas for the first time. I was really drunk too ;Bahah

Exercise: Also got the green light to work out. Did a few days this week and pushed myself at about half the level I normally would (was a bodybuilder before surgery). All good ;:)

I hope this can give some hope to other noobs like me. I know I tried to find topics like this when I started out, so I hope it's helpful.

Justbreathe

Good on you - glad to hear all is well. Although I hated my bag from day one, I find "bag hate" comes and goes these days.

It's great to be physically fit, but please keep in mind, a peristomal hernia with an ileostomy, which the doc told me is very common, is not a good thing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi Danno, glad you are doing so well. I started out hating my stoma too, but I now love it. I second what JB said about the exercise. You need to take particular caution when it comes to abdominal exercises and lifting heavy weights. A hernia can creep up on you without you realizing what is happening, and then it's too late. Be very careful. I have never returned to my pre-ostomy abdominal workout and that's fine. It was just too strenuous. Keeping those abdominals toned is important, as it will help protect you from hernia, just don't overdo it.

Terry

Danno
Reply to Justbreathe

Totally with you on this. I'm taking fitness a bit more seriously. I will be progressing at a much slower pace.

Danno
Reply to TerryLT

Totally agree. I used to lift for strength but this time around I'll focus more on low weight, high rep. Thankfully there's a safe way to build muscle. I know the risks. Just gotta play it safe.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CrappyColon

So, would you say you're a lightweight now when it comes to drinking? Or was that your usual drunk?

Danno
Reply to CrappyColon

Naw. I got drunk at the same pace. Haha