Colostomy Skin Irritation: Seeking Healing Tips

Replies
Views
Nungsr

Hello all, I've had my colostomy for a year now. The skin around my stoma is bright red and I can't get it to get any better. Is there a trick to helping it heal or???

Ben

xnine

Since I started using a skin prep, I have not had any problems.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mr.Heart2Win

W30bob had two great entries about this. I saved both. One is called: Forum Home Page > Ostomy-related questions
New here and so excited to have found this group, but I need help!.

And the other one is called: Forum Home Page > Ostomy tips
Ostomy Related Skin Irritation - What you need to know.

Just scroll down and you'll find both titles, great advice.

Ben38

First thing to make sure is the hole in base being cut too small/big..... We should measure our stomas every month as they can change shape/size anytime no matter how long we've had them for....I'm in the UK. I use Sudocrem when I have sore skin. I don't know if it's available where you are. It's just a diaper/nappy rash cream. I presume all makes of them work the same way, just rub a small amount on the skin and wipe over with a dry wipe before applying a new ostomy bag.

Ostomate & woundr

Might be easier to diagnose if we had pictures. I could certainly look on your profile if that's where you put them, but otherwise you can just attach it to your reply.

So far, I agree with all of the advice aforementioned.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Nungsr
Reply to xnine

I use them also. I use adhesive wipes and barrier wipes. I also use Hollister paste. I'm starting to think maybe I'm allergic to the paste? Also, I really haven't let the skin breathe much so there's that.

Nungsr
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

I'd rather not post pictures, to me it's kinda gross looking.

AlexT

You shower with no bag on? Since you said colostomy, I'm guessing you have time to let it air out like I can. I usually lay down for anywhere from 15-60 minutes with no bag on and let the ceiling fan move around.

w30bob

Hi Ben,

Download this book and find the picture of what you're experiencing... it should help point you in the right direction!

;o)

https://docshare.tips/abdominal-stomas-and-their-skin-disorders_5884d04fb6d87fb4298b4ac9.html