Adhesive Solutions for Hot Weather and Sweating Issues

Replies
Views
jalrein

I live in the Palm Springs area. La Quinta, CA. It was 101 outside today. I wear a belt with the hole on the right for bag to come through. Doctors tell me I must wear the belt so parastomal hernia doesn't get worse when I play golf. I've played 6 times with zero issues. Today I had a bad time when the adhesive would not hold because I was sweating under the belt so bad. Had a bad leak down the right side of my shorts on the 6th hole. I had to go home. Can anyone recommend tape, or anything to prevent this from happening when it's really hot out and I sweat under the belt? It didn't happen when it was 85 out and I played golf....thanks for anything someone can suggest!!!

AlexT

What kind of belt are you using? Under those circumstances, I'd probably go with a belt like a Movi Brace or NU-Hope. Let's your bag be open and just puts pressure around your stoma area.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Band-aids like a different belt or tape around the edge of your barrier adhesive will only make the problem worse. Once your output gets to your skin it'll really inflame it if left for any significant amount of time. So playing on even though you have a leak because it hasn't physically made it to the outside to be visible will be paid for later when you can't get anything to stick to your really pissed off skin.

There were some posts on here awhile back about dealing with severe perspiration... so search for that or 'sweating'. I don't recall what the recommendations were specifically, but I remember there were some good ones. Where is our resident ostomy nurse when we need her... Jules... we need you... spill on Aisle 3! Chop chop!!

;O)

jalrein
Reply to AlexT

Alex, I have the belt that has the bag out through a hole and it pushes down around the stoma. It puts pressure on the adhesive to keep it down. What happened was I took a swing and since the adhesive wasn't sticking, the bottom came up through the hole and liquid spilled all over my shorts. I play golf 1-2 times a month but it's getting really hot here, it'll be over 100 every time I play. I'm gonna try different types of tape I guess to see if the perspiration doesn't come up. I love playing but I may just have to limit my golf to days where it's cooler..thanks for your response Alex. Appreciate any help you can recommend

Axl

I and many others use a product like this, may be of some use to you although your real issue is the adhesion of the flange, could it be a one-time incident?

https://products.coloplast.com.au/coloplast/ostomy-care/brava/brava-tape/brava-elastic-tape/brava-elastic-tape/

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to jalrein

I don't golf but I do a lot of stuff at work that extends my body like a golf swing would. I've never had that issue even on the hottest/humid days last summer. I wear a wrap or belt at work but not usually at home when doing stuff. I've never had what you describe happen and I've been in those temps and dripping sweat. Do you use a barrier ring?

jalrein
Reply to AlexT

Yep, I do use a barrier ring. I'm thinking just like the other gentleman posted that maybe, just maybe this is a one-time accident. I'm gonna play again on the 23rd and it's supposed to be in the high 90's so I'm gonna do everything the same but I'm gonna put an extra layer of extender tape I have on the adhesive and I'm gonna see what happens. I don't sweat a lot normally but there was a lot of sweat under the belt that caused this so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed. Thanks Alex.....

Ostomate & woundr

I have to agree with Alex. The New Hope belt is different than some of the other brands. It is much more breathable and allows perspiration to evaporate, but perspiring under your faceplate or wafer is something that no belt is going to affect one way or the other. Some brands have Karaya powder or absorbent stoma powder built into the wafer. One example is Convatec's Durahesive. The extra tape at the edges will probably be less helpful than an extra very ring at the center. I recommend the stoma wrap also by Convatec because it is an oval-cut ring. It is not completely circular and can be used to place around the edge of your usual barrier ring. It is impregnated with stoma powder or Karaya powder that helps absorb moisture. It's not perfect, but I think this would be of more use to you than putting extra widths on the edge of your wafer.

IGGIE

I see the problem as simple. Why would you play golf when it's 100°F? Stay home and put the aircon on.

Ninja

I know the heat curve in Coachella Valley, and you will have plenty of time this summer if you live down there full time to figure this out. A family member is in the area, works on a private course as an Assistant Pro, but they actually close down starting June 1. So, my first suggestion is: play early in the day when it is only 100 degrees, but as one who goes in for activity—the more strenuous the better, that will not solve the issue at hand.

Some alternatives I learned from river rafting and backpacking are to delay breakfast; food restrict in the am, to reduce the volume of output. Fluids need to be topped off but after am emptying, do electrolytes and try not to put anything substantial in your mouth food wise until after the 13th hole. Knowing where actual bathrooms are on whatever courses you play will help, and fully emptying whatever has come into your system while out for a round (I am presuming 18 holes, and that you aren't on an executive 9 hole or slogging through 36 in preparation for the PAT). Plantains and Dates might be useful to bulk up your output if not eating is not an option; perhaps more viscous output will be less likely to add to the pool of perspiration/risk of leakage.

Nu-hope products come from Pacoima, up near Antelope Valley, and have intense adherence properties because they are much lower tech than the Big Three manufacturers. No colloid or fancy R and D, just a foam connector; I have had good luck with adhesion. They also have solid inventory on belts/girdles which may be worth sampling.

If you have some special needs with your stoma, shape, size, aspect, it might be worth asking your local WOCN although I love the brain trust you activated in this thread.

Finally, check out OstoTEEs, a consumer-owned company that specializes in getting devices away from your abdominal wall. Might be worth chatting with the inventor-operator if he has any gear that will solve the problem. Curious where you are playing in the Valley? And what's your handicap? Wear dark shorts, and don't stress. Plenty of great golfers are peeing and shitting in their pants, literally and figuratively. It's only a bodily fluid—good for the tall grass, maybe not so much for the sand traps. Stay sane, and hit it straight.

All best, Ninja Girl up North, Mother, Doctor

sunburst

I play in FL- not 101, but hot and humid - now through fall sweating will be an issue for my wafer as with you. I use barrier extender tape, it may be coming up some by the end of the round, but it helps keep wafer tape intact. You can also try waterproof tape on the extenders or wafer tape.
Good luck and keep it the short stuff!