Hollister vs. Coloplast Urostomy Bags: A Comparison

Replies
Views
MC22

Approximately two and a half years ago, I had to have a radical cystectomy due to bladder cancer. I've always used Hollister Urostomy Bags. Within the last year, I have noticed a sharp decline in the quality of their bags. Sometimes, it's almost impossible to get a good seal. It seems there is always something different with each box, especially if they are from different "lots". My question is, how would you compare Hollister Urostomy Bags against Coloplast Urostomy Bags? If you have tried both, your insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Bryce

Hi -

I had the same procedure 14 years ago and had a similar problem with Hollister although I still believe they are a good company. I switched to Coloplast 12 years ago and have not regretted it. I make a one-piece from the materials listed below because I was not very adept at cutting an accurate hole (I failed 'Arts & Crafts' in Kindergarten:) ). I get 4-5 days wear and very few leakers. I suggest talking to Coloplast and here is my list for a request sample guide:

COL 16485 SenSura Mio Flex Skin Barrier, Light Convex, 50mm flange size, Pre-cut 25mm

COL 12297 SenSura Mio Flex Uro Pouch Maxi Opaque 50

COL 12037 Brava Protective Ring 27mm Diameter / 2.5mm Thick

COL 12070 Brava Elastic Barrier Strips

Good luck.....Roll Tide,

Bryce

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MC22
Reply to Bryce

Thank you very much for your reply! I'm awaiting samples from Coloplast. I'm hopeful that they will arrive soon. I think it's cool you're from Canada and said ROLL TIDE!

Again, I appreciate your reply...it was very helpful! RTR!

vpl
Reply to MC22

Hi, over the years I have tried many different companies. I have gone back to Hollister Ceraplus as I find them to be the kindest to my skin. It was only after having the urostomy and having to wear a bag 24/7 that I found that I am allergic to plasters!

The worst allergic reaction I get is from the Coloplast bags.

Nothing I can do about it (other than using a hammer and nails!!!)

MC22
Reply to vpl

Thank you for your response. I have some Coloplast samples on the way. I'm hoping they will work. Hollister is a good company, but their products just do not seem to be working for me like they did in the past.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Stoma_N_FL

I had my surgery in November 2019 and, like most, left the hospital using Hollister. I was very content once things settled down and I knew more about what worked and what didn't. I got to where I could go a week with one bag. Then something happened: I would get leaks from the underside of the bag. The seal was good, the bag was attached securely, 2-piece, yet I was getting wet underneath the bag. I thought maybe it was perspiration, so I would put a paper towel underneath and, yes, it was definitely urine. Plus, I don't perspire that much. When I would change, I would inspect the bag, the connection, and the wafer thoroughly. I never solved it, and when I talked to Hollister, other than sending more bags, they never figured out why. A stoma nurse suggested Convatec Natura Sur-Fit. I've been using them now since December 2021. The only issue I had is I thought the adhesive wasn't as good as Hollister, but I use Skin Tac as my barrier wipe, which is stickier... problem solved. I also get 7 days a week out of the Convatec appliance. The only downside is they don't give you the disposable baggies like Hollister to throw away your items after a change.

MC22
Reply to Stoma_N_FL

Thank you... I will definitely check into Convatec. It's great that you can get 7 days out of an appliance, the most I've ever gotten is 4 and that was pushing it. Like you, I've contacted Hollister and all they do is send more bags without actually addressing the issue...your response was a great help I appreciate it !

MC22

I received my Coloplast samples... I was very happy and optimistic to try them... The seal was great... but, sadly I had a very bad skin reaction... I will keep pushing forward, I know I'll find something that works.

vpl
Reply to MC22

Hello again, I don't know why, but my skin reacts very badly to Coloplast products.