Redness around stoma after amoxicillin: Need healing advice

Replies
Views
Audrey Warren

I know this has been addressed but I can't find it. I just finished ten days on amoxicillin and it wreaked havoc with my output. Have developed some redness around stoma from some small seepage. What do I use to heal it?

AlexT

If you can go without your bag on for any length of time....take your bag off, shower with soap, rinse really well. Dry off and keep the bag off for as long as you think you can. I can go upwards of an hour if I want. I just lay under the ceiling fan and let it move air over me. Then, take some stoma powder and put it on the irritated areas, blow off any excess. Then, use a barrier wipe and blot the area where the powder is so it forms kind of a crust, let it dry well. Reapply your usual stuff.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,678 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

By the way, after the normal soap/rinse, I apply Head and Shoulders shampoo and let it sit on there for a minute, then rinse really well. I very rarely have skin irritation.

Audrey Warren
Reply to AlexT

Thank you. I'll be able to let it breathe once this antibiotic gets out of my system. It has Stella doing overtime. I'll buy some Head and Shoulders.
I appreciate the quick reply.

AlexT
Reply to Audrey Warren

You're welcome.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob
Reply to Audrey Warren

Hi Audrey,

Note that Head and Shoulders now comes in a wide variety of flavors, and some have different active ingredients. You want the original version, or any version that has Pyrithione zinc, which is an anti-fungal ingredient. The zinc also soothes irritated skin and is found in a lot of baby diaper rash products.

;o)

Trail200

Karaya powder from Hollister helped me out. When I let my stoma air out, I lay on a puppy pad so I don't get the bed wet or dirty.

AlexT
Reply to w30bob

Yep, should have said original, thanks for clarifying.

Maried

I use the same combo with skin rashes.. Original Head and Shoulders to clean the area - Butt Paste diaper rash cream.. Remove excess after applying then Karaya powder to help dry the area and get the bag to stick.

Jayjay31

Go to the doc. They can give you some cream.

Lins0808

I do what Steve does (never tried the H S) but shower with no bag on (I always do this when I change my bag), and then, if I have a rash, "air out my skin." I usually sit on the bed, on a towel with a box of Kleenex and trash can nearby. I make sure that when I put my appliance back on that I put stomahesive powder around the small space between my flange and stoma.

Hisbiscus

Domboro soaks. It's a powder sold in the pharmacy; that comes in little packets. You can buy a generic brand as well. You mix it with water and then you can soak a paper towel with it and put it around your stoma for about 10 minutes or so. You can do it daily if you want until the irritation goes away. Works for me every time and it's very soothing. An Ostomy nurse gave me some a few years ago and it's a staple in my arsenal now.

w30bob

Hi Audrey,

You're getting some good advice, which is what this forum is so good at. Bottom line is if you have skin irritation caused by your skin coming into contact with your output... it's no biggie. Just put some stoma powder on it when you change your barrier to keep it dry and your skin will heal itself. One-time irritations are easy for your body to overcome. But if you continue to experience leakage and your skin continues to get exposed to your output... that's a whole new ballgame.

Something to note is that a properly applied (and functioning) barrier should work the same whether your output is solid or liquid. It should keep your output off your skin and not leak. People with urostomies are basically peeing into their bag, and they keep their urine from contacting their skin via their barriers. So if you get seepage with a more liquid output... you may have an issue with how you're applying your barrier. Not an issue I'm guessing with your more solid output... so no need to change anything... but something to note for the future if you need to be on meds longer or your diet causes a more liquid output.

Regards,

Bob

Ollie23
Reply to AlexT

Yes, the crusting trick is a good one. However, I have suffered from repeated irritation, blisters, etc. under my ostomy pouch.
I have found the holy grail for me and would love to share!
I get the powder spray Lotrimin and when I change my pouch, I spray it all over- then pat it with my no-sting barrier wipes- it has worked wonders. Basically, for irritation I was told to use miconazole powder, which is used for athlete's foot and other lovely things. But the powder just falls off. The spray powder stays in place and gives a cooling sensation! Works great!

Ollie23
Reply to Audrey Warren

Yes, the crusting trick is a good one. However, I have suffered from repeated irritation, blisters, etc. under my ostomy pouch.
I have found the holy grail for me and would love to share!
I get the powder spray Lotrimin and when I change my pouch, I spray it all over- then pat it with my no-sting barrier wipes- it has worked wonders. Basically, for irritation I was told to use miconazole powder, which is used for athlete's foot and other lovely things. But the powder just falls off. The spray powder stays in place and gives a cooling sensation! Works great!