Surviving Sepsis and Crohn's: Will My Bowel Movements Normalize?

Replies
Views
reyno87

Well, what a crazy past 12 months I've had! I got rushed in at the end of November '22 with a perforated bowel and sepsis due to Crohn's.

I had emergency surgery, to which I now have (Bruce), albeit temporary, a double-barreled jejunostomy, quite rare. It is a very tricky stoma, with very high output and everything else that goes with it, also both prolapsed, which makes things 100 times harder.

I had a meeting with the surgeon last Thursday and we're penciling in late October.

I'm just wondering if my bowel movements will go back to some sort of normal. I'm assuming if they want to put me back to one of those people, then everything should work to give me a better quality of life, right?

Kurt

avon1669

I have been reversed in February, and since then everything is back to normal—well, my new normal. Some days it's solid and some days it's runny. What makes us the warriors we are today is our resilience to adversity and obstacles. Think positive and take it day by day.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

So what type of reversal do they do with a double-barrel jejunostomy?

reyno87
Reply to CrappyColon

To be honest, I'm really not sure. All I know is he has four reconnections to do.

Ben38

I would have a word with your stoma nurse/consultant about it.

I can only speak from having an ileostomy, then needing an emergency endjejunostomy stoma, then back to ileo after 18 months. I had a large piece of my small bowel removed due to perforated small bowel sepsis and peritonitis. That's made a big difference to my ileostomy output; it's much looser than it was before, but I have no idea if it would have the same effect with having a reversal.

Hope your reversal surgery is soon and I'm sure it will all go well.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister