Successful First-Time Travel with an Ostomy

Replies
Views
NancyCat

Well, I finally have traveled for the first time since my ileostomy in 2017. Wasn't sure how many "ostomy kits" I should take with me so, in the words of my grandma "better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it".

My journey began as a trip to California for the memorial of my 96-year-old cousin....4 flights in 4 days and 2-2hr car rides later, I arrived back home. Three days after I returned, I had a lovely trip to the ER...no, nothing to do with my ostomy...but my right foot and leg were extremely swollen and cold to the touch...so...after an EKG, blood labs, chest x-ray and an ultrasound of both of my legs, the consensus was "4 flights in 4 days plus 2-2hr car rides" that had caused all of the swelling, as my cardio doc says "well, better safe than sorry".

I had visions of bag leaks while I slept, or in the car or even on the plane--but nope nothing! Praise Jesus! Now, as we all know, our ostomies are always in the back of our minds, but I'm here to say that all went very well on my trip--and I'm looking forward to my next adventure..

Axl

Yay... Good for you

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM

After six years, you are now a confirmed ostomy pro.  Good for you!  

Riva

Congratulations. May you enjoy many more journeys.

Morning glory

Don't make this your last adventure, but no more trips to the ER. You need to walk on your long rides whether it is on a plane or car.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Audrey Warren

And wear compression stockings. Kudos.

TerryLT

Well done! Now you will be confident in your next journey.

Terry