Recommendations for Hernia Support Belts Needed

Replies
Views
thebertonlagden

Hello all,

I had my surgery in April 2023 when Stanley, my ileostomy, was made. It has made an amazing improvement in my life.

In the last few weeks, I seem to have a bigger bulge in the mummy tummy on Stanley's side compared to the other side and a frequent heavy dragging feeling..... Hence, I wonder if I am developing a hernia?

I am due to see my stoma nurse next week but wondered if anyone could recommend a good hernia support belt.... Do they work? Do they help? Any advice welcomed.

Thank you

Cplumber

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,488 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

That belt picture is from Nu-Hope. I'm a plumber and I've been using them for 20 years. They offer great support and comfort.

You should be able to get them from your Ostomy supplier. Their website is nu-hope.com.

Killarney
Reply to Cplumber

Is the company American.

Beachboy

I use Nu-Hope. Pretty comfortable. They have an extensive catalog of belts. Prompt shipping too. They are located in Pacoima, California.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I agree with Nu-Hope. They are amazing with helping find a good fit product if you need it.

Justbreathe
Reply to Cplumber

I was measured by 2 WOC nurses for a "proper" fit.... It turned out to be a bit different from the one I initially purchased online. For me, neither are very comfortable after an hour or so as they seem to squeeze ole' Seymour (stoma's name) outward more than we like... . Jb

Mark1070

Nu-Hope Cool Comfort works for me. 2009 ileostomy. I had the same bulge starting back in 2011. WOC Nurse ordered stoma belt. The bulge hasn't gotten any larger and no hernia yet.

Past Member

I use the Nu-Hope belt. I really like it and I use it every day. However...

When my ostomy nurse ordered it, she ordered the wrong size that did not fit properly on my appliance. As a result, it kept ripping the bag off so I stopped wearing it. Big mistake. I now have quite a large hernia.

So I called Nu-Hope directly and they helped me get the right belt for me. In addition to daily use, I really appreciate it when I am sick and have to cough. I made a sleeve with comfortable fabric to slip around it since I wear it all day. The belt is not terrible but nice fabric on skin is nicer.

Dharms

Hi
My stoma nurse ordered me one from CuiWear in the UK.

https://cuiwear.com/collections/support-belts

I use the belt for exercises. It does the job but I'm sure there's better ones out there.

Also, for daily wear I use a hernia support vest from Vanila Blush - it's comfortable, gives great support and provides a snug fit around the stoma.

Available on prescription in the UK

https://www.vblush.com/en/prescriptions?f5B05D=prescription3A1

Good luck!

Beachboy

Nu-Hope does have a prolapse strap belt that will hold down the stoma. I tried mine for a full day. Squished my stoma, resulting in reduced bulge showing through my shirt. But...mucho pancaking. Had to change my wafer bag. So I cut off the prolapse strap.

I'm going to sew Velcro on the side of the ring where the strap was cut off, and the cut side of the prolapse strap. So Velcro on both sides of the ring. That way instead of pulling the strap over the stoma, I can lay the strap on top. Gives me better control of the pressure exerted by the strap on my stoma.

rnourie

Another Nu-Hope fan. My WOC nurse ordered one when I had a small mound protruding around my stoma and it gives excellent and comfortable support during the day and flattens my abdomen nicely.

Rich

Killarney
Reply to rnourie

Do you know if the company is American or European.

Beachboy

Nu Hope is headquartered in California, USA.

DexieB
Reply to Cplumber

Thanks for this info... I just saw my wound care nurse since I have a new bulge under my stoma - I think it was from a coughing spell a month ago. As much as I tried to hold my stoma in while I coughed, it was almost impossible since the cough was relentless for weeks. My wound nurse just took measurements and hopefully it will arrive soon - she said these Nu-Hope belts are the best. I assume this is something I would wear all day - but can it be taken off at night? The only time I don't notice the bulge is when I'm laying down, I think the nurse called my hernia retractable. And I guess they won't fix it until my reversal, so I'll have to deal with it until then. Can't believe I am only 4 months in and already have a hernia!