UOAA Membership and Phoenix Magazine: Worth It?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Aug 18, 2023 7:12 pm

I just last week joined the United Ostomy Association of America. I had been thinking about it for a long time and decided I had the money to do it recently. I was wondering how many here are members? Also, how many subscribe to Phoenix Magazine? I am thinking of getting the magazine, but I am waiting for my discount coupon to come in the mail from my membership to UOAA. If you do get the magazine, is it helpful informationally or emotionally?

Lee

TerryLT
Aug 18, 2023 9:06 pm

Hi Lee, I don't know anything about the organization and don't know if membership would be available to Canadians. How much does it cost to join, and what are the advantages?

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Happytostillbehere
Aug 18, 2023 10:18 pm

I joined the UOAA not too long after I had my surgery. I look at it as another source of information, and you can't have too much of that. As for the magazine, I just got the most recent one today, and every issue that I've gotten in the past, which comes out quarterly, is a good read from the beginning to the end. As I said before, you can't have too much information; every little bit helps, and I think you get an awful lot from both of these, well worth joining. Take care.

Riva
Aug 19, 2023 3:41 am

Hi. Education is key on this journey of ours. UOAA is our national organization. They are extremely helpful with tips of our trades, so to speak. Go online to check them out. They just completed their national conference.

infinitycastle52777
Aug 21, 2023 4:03 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Terry

The UOAA is of America. I am not sure if people from other countries can join, but I would guess as long as you pay, then you can. I believe it was $25 for a basic membership. Here is their website: https://www.ostomy.org/

It actually says "National Membership," so maybe it is limited to America. You could send an inquiry email and ask, or see if they can say if there is a UOAC (United Ostomy Association of Canada). I just did a search and I found this: https://rarediseases.org/non-member-patient/united-ostomy-association-of-canada/

Hope that is helpful,

Lee

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister