Colostomy Operation with Cirrhosis and Rectal Cancer: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Freestyle
Sep 08, 2023 2:59 pm

Hi everyone πŸ‘‹. Has anyone on here had a colostomy while having cirrhosis? My husband has this and also rectal cancer. We have been told that the operation has a 1 in 4 survival rate, so obviously we are terrified. We have also been told that if he survives the operation, the recovery from the anal closure is going to be a problem healing. We just wondered if anyone has any help for us. Thank you. Lynn

Freestyle
Sep 08, 2023 5:22 pm

Has anyone else had problems with the anal closure after the colostomy? We need all the help and information we can get.. πŸ™

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Sep 08, 2023 6:59 pm

Hello, I had a colostomy operation in September 2022. Still got my anus and rectum.

I had radiation treatments for prostate cancer right before the colostomy surgery. Irradiated tissue is permanently damaged, does not heal well, if at all.

So far no problems. But I cannot have reversal surgery due to the radiation.

Get a second opinion before surgery. Might be hard to do in the UK. But this is a major surgery and you need all the expertise you can find.

Β 

Β 

Freestyle
Sep 09, 2023 6:33 am
Reply to Beachboy

Hello and thank you for the reply ☺️ We have had all the information, all the tests done and this is the only option. If my hubby doesn't have the operation, the rectal cancer will kill him πŸ˜₯ It's just this anal problem that they are concerned about because of the cirrhosis.

AlexT
Sep 09, 2023 2:53 pm

I have a colostomy from rectal cancer and have the famous Barbie Butt. I had issues with mine healing from radiation treatments destroying the good/bad cells where they zapped me. What finally got me to heal fully was hyperbaric oxygen treatments and then 3 applications of GraphX. No idea if those 2 things would work in your case but might be worth mentioning to your medical team.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Freestyle
Sep 09, 2023 4:52 pm
Reply to AlexT

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to heal? And has it healed properly?

Freestyle
Sep 09, 2023 4:54 pm
Reply to AlexT

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to heal? And has it healed properly?

Freestyle
Sep 09, 2023 4:58 pm
Reply to AlexT

Did you have your colostomy operation through keyhole surgery or a big cut straight down the middle?

Freestyle
Sep 09, 2023 7:32 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I can't keep my rectum because that's where the cancer is 😒

AlexT
Sep 10, 2023 2:49 pm
Reply to Freestyle

My wound, the part affected by the radiation, took about 9 months to heal fully. Of course, they tried many other things first before the Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments and the GraphX because both are expensive and had to be approved through my insurance first. So, if they would have done them right away, my healing time would have been much shorter. My surgery was robotic, so I have 5 (I think) small scars on my stomach, each about an inch long. Then, of course, my butt crack is 1 long scar now but I can't see it so who cares.

AlexT
Sep 10, 2023 2:51 pm
Reply to Freestyle

Mine was basically right on my butthole. They were hoping the radiation would shrink it enough to be able to have ends to reconnect me. It did shrink it a lot, but not enough.

Ben38
Sep 10, 2023 3:11 pm

Colostomy UK has a 24hr Freephone Helpline....Just a thought, it might help you and your husband talking to someone over the phone that's been through itΒ 

Freestyle
Sep 10, 2023 3:15 pm
Reply to AlexT

He had radiotherapy and the cancer was cured for 2 years but then it came back πŸ˜” He really didn't want the colostomy because we have heard so many horror stories about the bum hole not healing properly... but if he doesn't have a colostomy now the cancer will kill him πŸ˜₯

AlexT
Sep 10, 2023 3:23 pm
Reply to Freestyle

First, you gotta put your mind in the positive mode. Thinking negatively that either way this is horrible will do neither of you any good. The colostomy part has been no real issue for me and once my butt got healed, it has been no issue either.

Beachboy
Sep 10, 2023 4:24 pm

Like AlexT advised:

Be positive.

I know it's hard. Everyone here on Ostomates has faced tough decisions... In many cases, involving life or death. My colostomy allows me to live free of horrible pain, and gave me my life back. I had a choice in the hospital: Have exploratory surgery or perish, with no idea of the outcome.

I'm here now because I chose to live.

Freestyle
Sep 10, 2023 5:43 pm
Reply to AlexT

Thank you so much for that 😊

Freestyle
Sep 10, 2023 5:45 pm
Reply to Beachboy

You don't know how much that has helped us.

AlexT
Sep 11, 2023 3:38 pm
Reply to Freestyle

You're welcome. One day at a time, find the positives, and smile… Life is too short to worry about things you can't control.