Larger Colostomy Bags for High Output and Limited Dexterity

Replies
Views
stevehrtmn
Sep 26, 2023 4:51 pm

I'm a quadriplegic, with limited finger dexterity. I have IBS.
With this condition, I take medication every morning that causes a lot of output all at once. For now, I have to cut off the bottom of the bag and use masking tape to attach a disposal bag to the bottom, which leaks. I have searched all over for larger bags. I have considered modifying urinary bags, but they are expensive.

Footie97
Sep 26, 2023 5:29 pm

Try looking at irrigation sleeves. No experience with them personally as I was lucky enough to be reversed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Sep 26, 2023 6:15 pm

I agree with footie97.
I use Coloplast irrigation sleeves (but I have tried Hollister in the past) most of the time (at night) as a large bag. I simply fold it over twice by bringing it up far enough so when I fold it over the first time, the end is in line with the (then) bottom of the sleeve, I then pull up the end and fold both the end and the middle over the top of the bag (which has a hard edge) and secure it with 3 of the sort of paper clips that have two ends that open the metal middle and then fold right over.  I have also used three clips that I butchered off some braces, which do much the same thing. ( I use 3 clips because sometimes I get a lot of output and I don't want any accidents with that amount in the bag.
Another advantage of irrigation sleeves is they are really easy to empty and clean.
The end, when it's not clipped up, is long enough obtain water straight from the tap and long enough to reach right to the water in the toilet to empty it. Hence, there is virtually no mess at all.
I have no idea how much they would cost but both companies would no doubt send you samples.
If cost is an issue, then I would point out that I use my own DIY baseplates, which are really easy to make and, by sticking the sleeves to these, they can last for months. I get my sleeves free of direct payment through the NHS, but even so, each one usually lasts at least a month before it starts getting stained.  At the outset of using them, I tried to see how long I could go with soaking them in bleach every now and then. My experiment indicated that I could get them to last for at least four months, and then I gave up on the experiment because the bleach cost me money, whereas the new sleeves were free.

It's always worthwhile giving these things a go when the samples a free and, by trying the irrigation sleeves as bags, you lose nothing and might gain a new technique.

Best wishes

Bill      

john.m.schmidt1
Oct 03, 2023 6:03 pm

Hey Steve, not sure how to help, but your message comes through loud and clear. Many people here might think the worst of their situation in life, but someone always has it worse. Thank God that you are soldiering on, and I wish you the best.

stevehrtmn
Oct 04, 2023 4:21 pm
Reply to Bill

Thank you very much, Bill!

Appreciate your input.

Or should I say, your input on my output.

Steve

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister