Fountain of Liquid Output During Bag Change - Any Similar Experiences?

Replies
Views
Little Lulu

I have had my ileostomy for seven years, and today I had a first during bag change. Everything was as usual at first after the bag was removed. My morning banana from four and a half hours ago had started coming through, as usual. Three or four times of that, then doing the cleaning, when suddenly, a fountain of liquid output started shooting straight up. This went on for at least twenty minutes. Thank goodness my husband is in charge and I am the helper. We were very anxious about getting a lull in order to continue the process of putting on the bag. Mission finally accomplished, but I'm a little shaky right now. Has anyone else experienced this fountain shooting inches in the air? The only thing I had that was unusual was a dose of cough syrup a couple of hours before the bag change. It was just over the counter, no codeine. I'm looking for ideas of what could have caused this. Responses will really be appreciated! Thanks!

Lucy

gentlejohn

I have had that experience when I was obstructed at the stoma and the obstruction was removed. Your small bowel acts as a reservoir of stool and when the blockage is removed, the stool comes out like a fire hose. I do know your situation, but it is easy to get partially obstructed by not chewing roughage with fluids. When that plug is cleared, the stoma will start spewing. Shortly post-op, my output could have hit another nurse observing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,709 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NancyCat

Hiya! This has happened to me on many occasions! I call it an "eruption" as it seems like my stoma is a volcano. Usually, it happens after I have a lot of coffee and then try to change my appliance—totally normal.

Little Lulu
Reply to gentlejohn

Gentlejohn, thank you so much for your response! I suspect you are correct about the blockage. I haven't had one since I was in the hospital. Everything seems to be fine now. My stoma is working just fine now. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I knew someone on this site could enlighten me!

Lucy

Little Lulu
Reply to NancyCat

NancyCat, thank you so much for your reply. This incident was much more than a coffee eruption. I think GentleJohn was on to something about the blockage. It is so good to have people we can turn to for information and advice! Thank you!

Lucy

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Lucy before i had resection surgery a few years ago my stoma was like a pinched garden hose and would spew across the room so i started doing changes in the morning after a shower and before eating anything so as to not wake up my stoma, i might get a few dribbles from it but thats about it.

gentlejohn

In addition to a food plug. A volvulus where internally the bowel can twist and then untwist because of an adhesion. Let pain be your guide. If there is little output and pain, see your surgeon.

Little Lulu
Reply to ron in mich

Ron, thanks so much for your reply! Timing is everything for us ostomates, isn't it!

Lucy

Little Lulu
Reply to gentlejohn

Gentle John, I did not have any pain, just the anxiety from having a squirting fountain liquid output. Today, everything is back to normal, thank goodness.

Lucy

squirrels in the attic

I'd just like to add that those "eruptions," although often extremely messy (total bathroom cleaning), make me curse and laugh simultaneously! I've never made a connection as to why it happens.

bag-changer
Reply to NancyCat

Thought I was the only one who had coined the phrase "eruption"!

Nothing's original, is it?