Seeking Comfortable Pants Options for a Friend with a Stoma

Replies
Views
rambleonrose80

First, I'd like to say that I have so much respect for you all... My close friend, who's a bit older than me, has a stoma resulting from cancer/emergency surgery, so I see that it is a huge lifestyle adjustment and change in so much I'd never even known about until this happened with her. Okay, so she has really struggled with what is comfortable for her to wear. She does not wear much of anything other than button-up shirts/t-shirts and jeans. Jeans, jeans, jeans. Period. It's all she wore before the surgery and all she wants to wear now...although now if any pressure, even in the slightest, is on her bag, she just is very uncomfortable. I had no idea she struggled with this detail and struggled silently with it... Well, I noticed a mood she was in and asked her, you know, what's going on like she isn't a frills and ruffles feminine dresser, she is a more umm masculine dresser, so I was surprised she was fretting about what she was going to wear and then what she HAD to wear. Well, I cannot just be an open ear only for her on this issue because I couldn't imagine worrying about what I was ABLE to wear and what I definitely could not wear and have never felt restrictive in my style of dress, so I want to actively help her get that situated so it's just one less worry for her because she's pretty awesome and has always been a friend I could count on, and I want to help remedy this specific worry for her. So here are some facts to help you all hopefully point me in the right direction:

She isn't going to wear a dress.

She has tried maternity pants above and below her waist.

She is very uncomfortable if the slightest pressure is applied.

Thank you all so much in advance.
ChristyR

Mysterious Mose

Not being female, my 2 cents probably aren't worth a hill of beans. So, I won't suggest suspenders. :-) However, what works for me are high-waisted elastic pants. The ones I wear have a wide elastic band, rather than a narrow one. I find that these distribute the pressure more evenly. I do understand the issue with pressure. For me, it is not pressure on the stoma, but the pressure on the adhesive. Over time, it does start to itch, especially in warmer weather. But for the most part, it works for me. There are also barriers that come as underwear, both full and open crotch. I have never tried these, as they are somewhat expensive. But, they say they provide support for the bag. The open crotch looks like this:

As I said, I have no experience with these. I have seen them on edgepark.com. Maybe someone here can say yay or nay to them.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,510 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eefyjig

First off, Rambleonrose, you are a true support to your friend and that is so wonderful. Is her ostomy relatively new? If so, she may still be sensitive in that area and that may change with time. I was going to suggest maternity pants because I primarily wear those since the material that covers the stoma is loose and giving. Some have a higher material area (full panel), some are lower (low panel). The low may work better for her.

CrappyColon

So… is your friend open to wearing any other type of pants? I'm not sure about her body type, so some of the styles I might suggest could be an automatic no. Has she tried jeggings? Places like Sam's Club/Walmart would have inexpensive ones to try. Because of my height, I have to stick to skinny jeans or some of the baggier styles that are in right now swallow me up. If she doesn't like any pressure on it, a low-rise bottom might be the best option. Has she tried the low-rise maternity that come with the inner buttons so you can adjust the tightness around the hips? If she doesn't like the way it feels pressed against her skin, a maternity wrap probably won't help. She might want to try a stealth belt (something similar) or this is what I used in addition to a maternity wrap: https://www.amazon.com/TYT321651-StomaSafe-Support-Garment-Corsinel/dp/B00CD48LYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_maf_1?crid=2KQ2QWYPXFR6Q&keywords=ostomy+wrap&qid=1698336496&sprefix=ostomy+wrap%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-3

For me, it depended a lot on the weather and the outfit I wanted to wear to figure out what I needed to add to make it work. Is your friend in pain when pressure is against it, or is it more sensory? How long has it been since the surgery? I think I lived in yoga pants, leggings, sweats, and hoodies after one of my surgeries last November.

If she really wants to find jeans that work right now, you can go into a place like Gap, explain the different style needs, and they should bring her several options to try. Back when I worked there (a long time ago), we were required to try on all pairs of jeans as part of the training so we'd know how they fit and felt not only for ourselves but then you know which styles work on which body types.

Beachboy

When I was recovering after surgery, jeans were too heavy and so uncomfortable. I discovered some great, lightweight pants on Amazon called Amazon Essentials. They come in many colors and a huge variety of sizes. Best of all, they are easy to return if they don't fit or you don't like them. If her sensitivity continues, she should consult a doctor. Possibly, her stoma needs a little rearranging via revision surgery.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777

I have to agree with others here, elastic is a good way to go. They make elastic jeans. If she didn't get them super tight, she should be fine. Also, she could wear a wrap to hold the bag securely in place and give her support.

Lee

amymariefred

I'm having the same issue. I'm 5 weeks post-op and my scars below my stoma hurt and I can't wear low riders. When I try to wear high-waisted elastic pants, it pulls on my pouch. I even wear a stealth belt! I'm going to try overalls next. Would your friend go for those?

Na_a
Reply to amymariefred

I wore overall shorts and rompers all summer. They were the most comfortable for me! I hope they work for you!

janscheid

I have found that an ostomy guard is very helpful. I have one made by Siil and love it!

Lily17

Hi, RamblinRose~

I wear some really comfortable palazzo pants and tunics made by One World, available on the ShopHQ.com website. Easy care synthetics, no ironing required, wide elastic waistband, loose over the lower torso and legs.

Tunics, in general, are just great due to the longer length torso. They can be found in every fabric and style range from casual to dressy, to dress-down/dress-up.

I also found some lightweight coveralls with pockets on Amazon.com that are cotton, so they wrinkle a bit (toss in the dryer with a wet towel, rather than ironing), but I ordered in a larger size and they are very comfortable. A lot of colors to choose from for variety, including neutrals. I even wear these to my workplace, which is okay with "Casual Friday" attire the whole week. Search Amazon.com for "YESNO Women Casual Loose Long Bib Pants Wide Leg Jumpsuits Baggy Cotton Rompers Overalls with Pockets."

You're a great friend! I hope the responses on this site from others will be helpful.

Be well~

Lily17

HarleyQ

You are a wonderful friend. Just understanding her struggle and showing her that is all she needs from you. I have had many surgeries and now wear a stoma hernia belt even in the shower because of my fear that my hernia will recur. It's exhausting. I found it very difficult to feel comfortable in any type of pants; they all felt too tight (putting pressure on my bag which in turn puts pressure on my stoma and surrounding area) or too loose (not supportive enough). Being overweight doesn't help either. It's a journey for everyone to find what works best for them and to feel confident enough to try different things as we go through it. Let her know she looks great with whatever she is wearing, and encourage her to wear whatever makes her most comfortable and confident. That's truly all we can ask for. It's a hard thing to navigate, much less to explain.

Cheers

Past Member

White Stag makes jeans with elastic in the back that are comfy. I got a pair at the thrift store today. $3.00!

Tried hitting thrift stores? The clothes are not expensive, at least not here.

Eagles2023

Low cut jeans, tank tops Victoria secret yoga pants ( or any yoga). That's my go to. No tucking 

Daisy2023

I wear jeggings because they look like jeans and have much more give to them. I also wear black pants quite a bit with a high waist so nothing is constricting my stoma and the bag is not sticking out the top. Loose shirts to cover everything. I understand her pain, it’s so difficult to not be able to dress how you want. Another adjustment we have to make. Hope she finds something she likes and is comfortable in. 

imsafanwa

Clothes are a pain in the neck with this modification. I now live in sweatpants 90% of the time. For 50 years or so it was carpenter jeans and a belt but the stoma sits right at the waistband, so...

Recently tried a pair of jeans with a waistband 6" too big and suspenders. The bag can be inside the pants and not be restricted-it seems to work pretty well. Suspenders are not too stylish, but your friend may be open to trying it out.

Thanks for helping!