Struggling with Low Magnesium After Colon Surgery

Replies
Views
harry113
Oct 30, 2023 1:06 am

Colon removal March 14, 23. Have low magnesium since surgery. Take two 400 mg magnesium tablets twice a day. Crush them and take with apple sauce. Have to have a magnesium infusion each week at local hospital. Magnesium is still low. Anyone having or had this problem?

Beachboy
Oct 30, 2023 1:42 am

Did you suffer from malnutrition or diarrhea while in the hospital? It's been a while since your surgery, but the negative effects can linger.

I was severely malnourished when I entered the hospital. Had not eaten much in 2 months, lost 64 pounds. Three months after surgery, my hair fell out, skin got really dry and began peeling. I had to wear a beanie. Three months later, hair started growing again. My skin is slowly getting better, but still flakes and peels. The doctor said it was due to anesthesia exposure and post-sepsis syndrome.

Low blood sugar/diabetes and inflammation also affect magnesium levels.

What type of magnesium supplement do you take?

Glycinate: Is considered the best because of its absorption rate.

Citrate and Malate: Bound with citric or malic acid, these cheaper supplements are absorbable, but glycinate is preferred because it's easier on the stomach and highly bioavailable.

Oxide: Bound with oxygen, this isn't often used for anything outside of digestive issues. Glycinate is four times more absorbable than magnesium oxide.

If you aren't getting better, you should seek a second opinion.

Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gemini16
Oct 30, 2023 1:57 am

Hi Harry. I've dealt with low levels and have trouble finding the best supplements with high MGs. I've recently discovered EZ Melts. I will attach the Magnesium and Potassium supplement I use. It's the highest I've found in liquid or pill form. Best of luck. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 30, 2023 2:32 am

For me, liquid magnesium was absorbed better. My ileostomy would spit out the powder of tablets and capsules, and thus it was not getting absorbed in that form. It's worth considering.

Lee

timcasey815
Oct 30, 2023 4:47 pm

For one, when you have an ileostomy, or even a portion of your large intestine removed, your body no longer has the time to break down magnesium. Most magnesium is absorbed mostly in the large intestine; it takes time to be broken down, 6 to 12 hours. With no or limited length of the large intestine, it only sits in you for maybe 2 to 4 hours, not enough time. Try micronized magnesium, or talk to your doctor and have it infused intravenously, on outpatient services at a local hospital.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Gemini16
Nov 05, 2023 2:00 am

Hey Harry, I recently found high-potency magnesium in capsule form. Thought of you and wanted to let you know about it. Hope you're doing well.

Hockeycards
Nov 07, 2023 11:40 am
Reply to Gemini16

Hello Gemini 16 from Hockeycards;

Thank you so much for posting. I do not know what I would do without the help of Ostomates. Yes, I do; we would go back to isolation. My husband had an ileostomy in April (emergency bowel cancer) after an infection around the bowel anastomosis. We were told the ileostomy was just temporary. He is now receiving chemo for spots on the liver after they told us they had gotten all the cancer.

The chemo nurse stated he was low on magnesium; however, no help with any of his questions.

He continues on NaCl 1000mls hydration per PICC line daily.

Your research is excellent. Will run it by the doctor.

I will get him on Glycinate ASAP.

He is low on magnesium as per serology; will take your well-researched advice and purchase the products.