Trouble with Output Sticking at Top of Bag - Need Advice

Replies
Views
Nini4
Nov 24, 2023 10:26 pm

It seems like every time I have output, it sticks up around the top of the bag and I have to push it through the bag. Any advice?

Much appreciated!

Beth22
Nov 25, 2023 2:33 am

Hey there,

Best advice from experience with pancaking is to keep a little air in the bag. If you use a bag with a filter, you can put a filter sticker over it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Riva
Nov 25, 2023 2:52 am

Hollister makes a lube, no. 78501. Give them a call, ask for a sample.

Nini4
Nov 25, 2023 12:12 pm
Reply to Beth22

Thank you. I often wondered what people meant by pancaking. Now I know!

Nini4
Nov 25, 2023 12:13 pm
Reply to Riva

Thank you. I will give it a try.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
AlexT
Nov 25, 2023 7:51 pm

Little air in the bag, lubricant. Rinse your bag out when you empty it if you use drainable. Drink more fluids. Pushing it down doesn't really do much unless you can get it all to slide down, plus it feels weird. 😁

Beachboy
Nov 25, 2023 7:59 pm

I get the same thing. My shirt bulge starts looking funky until I pinch the bag's plastic to force the widdle pancake downward. Then center the output so the bag is flatter. Stoma points toward my navel, so the bag always gets off-kilter.

Nini4
Nov 25, 2023 8:08 pm
Reply to AlexT

I requested a sample of the lubricant from Hollister. We'll see how that does.

Thanks!

Doe1mama
Nov 26, 2023 2:00 pm

Agree with everyone regarding air in the bag, liquids, and lubricant. My husband had a really bad issue with pancaking.

Past Member
Nov 26, 2023 2:52 pm

Me too! I started using the Hollister Adapt lubricating deodorizer product. It comes in a larger bottle and a nice travel size as well. I use a ring seal as the hard plastic rings don't work with my elderly wrinkled belly (TMI). Anyways, I put some in the pouch and the area that touches the stoma before I attach the pouch. Be careful not to get the stuff on the seal or on the Velcro closure. You can use it after each empty.

Beachboy
Nov 26, 2023 3:31 pm

I use the Hollister lube/deodorizer. Works well. I also put/rub some on the bag plastic area where my stoma goes. I also spread some around the sides of the flange area.

Nini4
Nov 26, 2023 5:08 pm

Thank you!

Nini4
Nov 26, 2023 5:08 pm
Reply to Doe1mama

Thank you!

AlexT
Nov 26, 2023 6:17 pm
Reply to Nini4

When you get it… pour it into the bag, close your bag up, then work the lubricant all over the inside of your bag. You'll know when it's coated all over the bag because the bag won't stick to itself anywhere and the inside of your bag will kind of look all bubbly and whitish in color. Just pouring it in and letting it go to the bottom of the bag will do nothing for getting it to help get your output off your stoma area. Work it around so the whole inside of the bag is coated with it.

Beachboy
Nov 26, 2023 6:24 pm

Good point, AlexT.

M9 deodorizer drops just sit at the bottom of the bag.

Lube/deodorizer needs to be distributed throughout the bag, as you noted.

Nini4
Nov 26, 2023 7:42 pm
Reply to AlexT

When you say close your bag up, what do you mean? Do I put it in after I cut the bag (I wear a one-piece)?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I just don't know what I am doing, still so new to this.

Thank you!

imsafanwa
Nov 26, 2023 9:15 pm

Hi Nini. Alex is talking about closing up the bottom of a drainable bag. After emptying and rinsing, you raise the drain (bottom) of the bag as high as possible and put the lube in. Then you can work it around in there to coat the whole bag.

If doing a bag change, you can put the lube in through the stoma opening before peeling the film off the adhesive part of the wafer. I use a two-piece system so I can unclick partially and let the gas out. One can also (carefully) add lube while detached.

There are no silly questions. Everyone needs to learn, and we are happy to help.

Nini4
Nov 26, 2023 9:20 pm

Thank you. This makes sense now. Much appreciated!

AlexT
Nov 27, 2023 12:32 am
Reply to Nini4

After you put everything on and you're all done, pour the lube in and work it around. You do not want any lube to accidentally get on your skin prior to getting it all attached/sealed.

MoeMoe
Dec 21, 2023 3:46 am

Hi Nini, a little air in the bag has always helped me. Someone on the site advised me, and it really does help. Plus, I use the stickers over the filter so the air stays trapped. I use Adapt lubricant and add more each time I empty. On bag change, I add the lubricant and give the bag a rub to make sure it gets everywhere.

ruthsnyder2016
Jan 17, 2024 12:16 am

Have the same type of problem.

The nurse said the same thing, helps a bit but still a problem.