Stuck at top of bag with output

Replies
Views
Nini4

It seems like every time I have output, it sticks up around the top of the bag and I have to push it through the bag. Any advice?  

Much appreciated!

Beth22

Hey there,

Best advice from experience with pancaking is to keep a little air in the bag .. if you use a bag with a filter You can put a filter sticker over it. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Top 5 Collections
Riva

Hollister makes a lube no 78501.  Give them a call, ask for a sample. 

Nini4
Reply to Beth22

Thank you. I often wondered what people meant by pancaking. Now I know!

Nini4
Reply to Riva

Thank you. I will give it a try.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

Little air in the bag, Lubricant. Rinse your bag out when you empty if you use drainable. Drink more fluids.  Pushing it down doesn’t really do much unless you can get it all to slide down plus it feels weird. 😁

Beachboy

I get the same thing.  My shirt bulge starts looking funky until I pinch the bags' plastic to force the widdle pancake downward.  Then center the output so bag is flatter.  Stoma points toward my navel, so bag always gets off kilter.  

Nini4
Reply to AlexT

I requested a sample of the lubricant from Hollister. We'll see how that does.

Thanks!

Doe1mama

Agree with everyone regarding air in bag, liquids and lubricant. My husband had a really bad issue with pancaking. 

ianemily

Me too! I started using the Hollister Adapt lubricating deodorizer product. comes in larger bottle & nice travel size as well. I use a ring seal as the hard plastic rings don't work with my elderly wrinkled belly (TMI). Anyways I put some in the pouch & area that touches the stoma before I attach the pouch. Careful not to get the stuff on the seal or on the velcro closure. Can use after each empty. 

Beachboy

I use the Hollister lube/deodorizer.  Works good.  I also put/rub some on the bag plastic area where my stoma goes.  Also spread some around the sides of the flange area.

Nini4

Thank you!

Nini4
Reply to Doe1mama

Thank you!

AlexT
Reply to Nini4

When you get it…..pour it into the bag, close your bag up, then work the lubricant all over the inside of your bag. You’ll know when it’s coated all over the bag cause the bag won’t stick to itself anywhere and the inside of your bag will kinda look all bubbly and whiteish in color. Just pouring it in and letting it go to the bottom of the bag will do nothing for getting it to help get your output off your stoma area, work it around so the whole inside of the bag is coated with it. 

Beachboy

Good point AlexT. 

M9 deodorizer drops, just sit at the bottom of the bag. 

Lube/deodorizer needs to be distributed throughout the bag as you noted.

Nini4
Reply to AlexT

When you say close your bag up, what do you mean? Do I put it in after I cut the bag( I wear a one piece)?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I just don't know what I am doing still so new to this.

Thank you!

imsafanwa

Hi Nini. Alex is talking about closing up the bottom of a drainable bag. After emptying and rinsing you raise the drain (bottom) of the bag as high as possible and put the lube in. Then you can work it around in there to coat the whole bag.

If doing a bag change you can put the lube in through the stoma opening before peeling the film off the adhesive part of the wafer. I use a two piece system so I can unclick partially and let the gas out- one can also (carefully) add lube while detached.

There are no silly questions. Everyone needs to learn and we are happy to help.

Nini4

Thank you. This makes sense now. Much appreciated!

AlexT
Reply to Nini4

After you put everything on and you’re all done, pour the lube in and work it around. You do not want any lube to accidentally get on your skin prior to getting it all attached/sealed. 

MoeMoe

Hi Nini, a little air in the bag has always helped me. Someone on the site advised me and it really does help plus I use the stickers over the filter so the air stays trapped. I use adapt lubricant and add more each time I empty. On bag change I add the lubricant and give the bag a rub to make sure it gets everywhere. 

ruthsnyder2016

Have same type of problem. 

Nurse said the same thing, helps a bit but still a problem

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.