Normal for ileostomy - abdominal discomfort?

Replies
Views
jac20

hello,, its year since surgery, surgery was to remove small intestine tumour but due to complications have perm end ileostomy. because of the surgical complications and emergency 2nd surgery within a week, my recovery has been very slow. I had no other bowel issues before the surgery. I am wondering if it is normal with ileostomy; to have some tenderness or discomfort on abdomen especially on side of ileostomy such as; feeling like something is in way of muscles (appreciate there is, just did not expect to feel so aware of it), discomfort to side of stoma and to hip after walk or light exercise (sore when use muscles, feels like a strain), feeling like something stuck under rib above stoma at times, random sore or tender spots, area above stoma is hard at times and not at others - presumably food in bowel?.  Does any of this sound familiar?  Does it improve? If tummy feels has muscle strain after exercise (a walk)- should I ignore, or rest until discomfort when move, goes away?  TY for any answers 

Mysterious Mose

I am also a year out from an end ileostomy and I do not have any of the discomforts you describe. I can feel the internal changes near and under the stoma, especially when I try to suck in my gut or am laying partially on my stomach. But, there are no issues after light exercise or my daily 3.5 mile walks. Have you talked to a medical professional about this? If not, I think you should.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

jac20
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks for this info.  I mentioned some of this to consultant but he had no explanation or suggestion - but that was before current post walk strain feeling, will try stoma nurse when next see her. Thanks again for your help and taking time to share.   Jackie

CrappyColon

I was told after age 30 it takes one year approximately for the body to heal from a surgery. I accidentally had 3 surgeries last year. I wouldn’t have had the first surgery (shoulder reconstruction) if I had known 2 months later they’d run out of options and the colon had to go. I had asked my GI Dr (I was under the surgeon’s umbrella for about 6 months following the last surgery) why I only ever felt movement/pain on the right side. He said he wasn’t alarmed by it. I’m also his non textbook patient. I think I know the muscle you’re talking about where the pain is if it’s the same as me. I did pelvic floor therapy and I was supposed to start pt for the abdominal muscles a month ago but life’s been busy. I know the NHS operates differently than private healthcare here, can you request a prescription for physical therapy? Anytime there is new pain I don’t think it’s a bad idea to call whoever that would be for you, sounds like maybe stoma nurse? And ask about it before your next scheduled appt.  Certain things like the angle I would bend at to unload the dishwasher or dryer got me in trouble and I would get a let’s not do that again lecture. Lately I haven’t been able to lie on my right side and be comfortable. But I’m waiting that out since I never scheduled the pt 🙃

Ben38

Sounds like your surgery was recent yes in the early days first year or so yes normal (yes take it easy dont over do things little and often to build your strength and core muscles up) if longer than that Dr should be looking for reasons why it's happening. I get very similar problems now over 30 years later caused by a few problems but Drs looked into it so know the reasons causing them. I see your from the UK I would have a word with your stoma nurse about it they can but your mind at ease.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Jackie if the pain is persistant and not going away after a year i would think a GI doctor would want to do a scope to see if there are any strictures, due to crohns disease i,ve had a few scopes into my stoma to monitor the scarring that causes strictures and blockages and a few years ago i had to have resection surgery as the scarring caused complete blockage.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

Accidentally had 3 surgeries. That's a novel way of putting it! 🤩

Daniel

Mysterious Mose
Reply to jac20

I did have discomfort under the rib cage like you describe. But, that was due to having a tube to drain fluid from around my pancreas. So, not quite the same thing and I was not getting much exercise for the 3 months it was in place.

jac20

Thanks everyone.  Sounds like PT might help.  Will look into options.  

CrappyColon
Reply to Mysterious Mose

It sure wasn’t my plan for 2022 🤣🤣🤣