New Innovation: Dermacol - Leakproof Solution for Peristomal Irritations

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses a new innovation called Dermacol, which offers a leakproof solution for peristomal irritations, and participants share their experiences and advice.
sweede
Hi folks, Sweede here.
It was put to me after researching hydrocolloids that there is a new innovation from Salts Healthcare, and I have to admit it is an ingenious solution for leaks and peristomal skin irritations due to waste touching the skin. I have decided to share this information with you if I may... I will post the product description in full.

Red, sore, and itchy skin could be a thing of the past, thanks to a novel new product from Salts Healthcare. Dermacol is a unique stoma collar that provides a leakproof barrier around the base of the stoma, preventing output from coming into contact with the skin.
The hydrocolloid used for Dermacol has been specially selected to give a high tack/quick grab onto the skin and to be very soft and flexible, without causing skin irritation. The washer has a clear release film and includes a thumb tab for easy removal.

The exact height of the collar has been carefully selected, following extensive user assessments over the last three years. Dermacol can be used on stomas that are very slightly oval but should not be used on retracted stomas.

Thin and flexible, the Dermacol stoma collar moves with the body as the patient bends, twists, and turns, staying in contact with the stoma. The unique collar is made from Alphathane, a new patented polyurethane formulated to resist the output from ileostomies (and can also be used for urostomies). The Dermacol collar is extremely soft and pliable. In fact, the collar stretches proportionately to three times its own diameter. This allows for normal peristaltic movement of the stoma.

There are two easy ways to use Dermacol, whether you use a one-piece pouch or a two-piece system. You can attach the Dermacol to your skin first, then put their pouch on in the usual way. Or you can attach it to their pouch first (or attach it to their flange first if they're a two-piece user), then fit both around the stoma. Dermacol is easy to remove and comes away with the pouch or flange when they are changed.

Salts Healthcare is a U.K. ostomy manufacturing company, so I contacted them to inquire as to whether they also distribute products overseas, and they do. They informed me that they have departments in many countries. Furthermore, if there is not an outlet in your country, you may contact them directly, and they will mail the products over to you from their U.K. office.

I hope this is of help to the many out there who are suffering from leaks and peristomal skin problems.
Sweede.x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morpheus

Hi,
I tried the Dermacol collar and haven't looked back.
Compared to the pastes and barrier strips, they are fantastic in every way.
They're flexible enough to fit my stoma and last for several days.
I only recently had an ileostomy in March 2009 and am so glad someone came up with the better technology.

Cheers,
Morpheus

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sooziq

Is this still made and can I get it in the USA now?

Past Member

Dermacol Collar is still available in the UK, I don't know if it is in the USA.