Emptying Thick Output

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Since starting on iron I have had much thicker output then I ever have before. Not solid thick but thick enough for a ileostomy. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for emptying thick output. Yesterday I somehow managed to rip my bag at the top where the bag attaches to the plastic ring and I think I must have done so pulling to hard on the bag when I was trying to empty the bag. I can't think of any other way this would have happened as it never has happened before. It was not a pleasant experience as I didn't know it had ripped until I started to smell something bad. Upon investigation I noticed there was a large rip at the top of my bag and it was letting output and smell out from there. So? Short of the wise ass answer of don't pull so hard on the bag, has anyone got suggestions for how to empty thick output?

Lee

JVM261

Somebody said something in another post about like a lubricant that one of the other ostomy companies sell I just can’t remember where I read it but I read it here on some kind of post. It’s like a lubricant that you put into the bag. I guess before you put the bag on. I tend to eat a little bit too much peanut butter, and I discovered that drinking a little bit of strong black tea will create thin output, that kind of rinses out the back of the thick one. But that’s just me and you have to be near the toilet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,531 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

You can put a bit of water in the bag to help empty, you might have to do it a couple times to get it out. My ileo tends to run  thick  that's what I do. 

Rose Bud 🌹

I have deorderant spray made for ostomies and it helps when its a bit thicker..( your supplier should beable to get you a sample to try out...otherwise you can message me and I'll give you the info where I get mine from).only thing is after a few times you need to spray more..depending on how much output you have in a day...unfortunately I've always had high out put no matter what .Someone once said baby oil...but I don't know if that harms your stoma or NOT...water helps somewhat to break it down so it's not as thick...I'd try and see what works well for you...good luck 😉 

warrior

i can only reply to that" ripped situation" ...in my case not torn but disconnected at the ring.

i guess that round clip got detached..and like u, was kneading the poop towards the tail..

like a baker spelling something on a cake. knead. not need..

danm bag ended up in my hands..

with the tail end open.

i freaked.

my output is always semi solid.

rarely liquid. the detachment happened only once. but the clip often doesn't stay clipped.

wont happen again..

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello Lee.
Thanks for this very practical question.
I am always very careful pulling off the bag on my 2 piece system, but every so often one of them splits at the seam where the thin plastic of the bag meets the more solid plastic of the rim. I believe this is just one of those manufacturing things where not everything goes right all the time. 
As for the thick output problem. I have not found an easy or efficient answer, but I simply flush it with water (sometimes several times). The damned stuff almost always sticks to the plastic in such a way that it needs rubbing together with clean water to try to get a 'fresh' start. 
I'll be interested to see what others have to say on this one.
Best wishes
Bill

NancyCat

Hiya

I use a 2 piece system and I do have super thick output from time to time...I just try to slowly slide my fingers dohave sown both sides of my pouch and try to get out as much as I can. Then I have some coffee or really push the fluids to thin out my output.

elwick

Hi, similar to others with thick output I add a little water from a squirt bottle and resealable the bag until it is mixed i find that I can empty with the minimum effort. Give it a try it works for me.p

elwick

Hi, similar to others with thick output I add a little water from a squirt bottle and resealable the bag until it is mixed i find that I can empty with the minimum effort. Give it a try it works for me.

AlexT

Pour warm water in, close bag, slosh it around with your hands, empty bag. 

infinitycastle52777

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I will try the adding water thing. I use M9 drops and I thought they were lubricating but maybe they are not. I think I have had a sample before of lubricating deodorant drops but it was at a time pre-iron and I didn't have thick output then. I've only had thick output since starting on iron. It seems to constipate Marvin and when he finally does go it's thick output. Often pancaking. It is really interesting to me that taking iron does that. I don't know why they don't look at that for a treatment for people with very liquid output. Seems to me anyway that it cures that. (Not why I'm on iron, but an interesting side effect).

Lee

Bertha

I have an ileostomy. Depending on what I eat of course, my output is not what I'd call thick. When I change my bag (every 4 - 5 days) I always add a couple of drops of baby oil in the pouch and massage it around so as to coat the entire inside of the pouch. Result is that my output slides to the bottom and is easy to empty, leaving me with an almost spotlessly clean bag.

Bertha
Reply to infinitycastle52777

My gastric surgeon put me on daily iron for red blood cell count or something like that. The first lot I was on turned my output very dark (according to the insert apparently a side effect of iron), but I changed brands, cut down to taking it only every second day and now have 'normal' coloured output.

AlexT

M9 drops are for odor control. 

Mysterious Mose

I keep a 300ml bottle of water next to my toilet. Two, actually. The second one is for those particularly stubborn loads. I also keep a couple of bottles in my car and I carry one when traveling. No fuss, some muss sometimes. But, such is life for an ostomate. :-)

Daniel

Itsme58
Reply to warrior

I’m so sorry Warrior but you gave me a really great laugh and I can’t help it. I’ve had those situations, but it’s always been in my sleep and I wake up to a shitty bed. Haven’t done that in a long time I think once in the past year.. when my output is thick. I have a spray sink in the bathroom and when I’m out somewhere and it’s thick, I carry bottled water and I put a little bottled water in there and move it around a little bit out and then pull them more wider and then empty, and that seems to work for me although I use the one piece bag by Coloplast, I cut my own little hole and stick the skin prep stick my bag to me and put tape around  they’re the adhesive circles I’ve only had mine a year and a couple months and I’ll be laying there and say I smell poop and it’ll be me so I go in the shower and change my bag. Totally when that happens cause it’s been compromised. Yeah have a good day and thank you for that little tickle to my heart warrior. 

warrior
Reply to Itsme58

hi. linda..🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️  glad it was amusing. thats what we are here for to laugh at ourselves and with.....WITH others. and learning is just a bonus.

the velcro is a good fitting mechanism- material idea... too bad its not an automatic thing that locks itself..😔

you mentioned u have a sprayer on yur bathroom sink? a fixture or bottle?  me too but a bottle not fixture.. but....the spicket sprayer on the kitchen sink is my changing station "pistol".

the sprayer- "pistol"- with warm to cool water helps clean the stoma area like a pressure washer.  and the rest goes down the drain. 

unless i misunderstood, you have leaks in bed? not so much as going outside doing chores. correct?   this needs to be addressed.. noctural leaks. 

volumes have been written here on site about this night time leakage..... u can pm me or add details on what you tried to solve this.

what i do to prevent night time leaks is to eat early..dump bag before bedtime. make one trip around 2-3 a.m.

lay on back. but also turn here and there...

i do side sleep . cautiously..

i also wear a tee shirt to somewhat contain a blow out.

plus a thin osty belt to keep appliance tight and flush to stomach...all the time. never remove it is my game..

and we know to use those smiley c adhesive strips to contain the o ring leak to buy us time..

someone suggested lowering the (foot) bed so shit runs down into bag instead of weakening the o ring  while laying flat on back.

im considering those doughnut seats for yur ass?? why..? well placing that around yur bag might help sleeping on stomach.. gravity would pull poop that way south....away from o ring seal.

jury is still out on that. would love sleeping on stomach .. even for ten mins.  lmk yur thoughts.✌️

warrior
Reply to Bertha

im in same boat as u..

a thicker output.semi liquid. someone described as oatmeal..

not silly puddy.

it seems the rage is abt high liquid output as an ileo..

i am glad i don't suffer that fate but wonder wtf is wrong with this picture??  ..feeling like odd man out..

MoeMoe

Hi, we use a lubricant, Adapt I think it’s from Hollister and I leave a little air in the bag. It will help slide output to the bottom of the bag. Someone suggested the lubricant plus the air and it has helped me immensely with thick output. 

Heppy8

If I have thick out put I just squeeze it out like toothpaste from a tube

warrior

It is my hope one day with all this technology and whatnot that somebody does something with the bag and by that I mean installing a vent cap at the top for two reasons... one, allow the air to come in to the bag to allow the poop to flow a little bit easier and two a little more involved but have a little syringe full of water to squirt in from the top... it's like those easy vent pop-up valves that that are around but depending on the bag type it's a select fit to use those type of valves and I mean that's pure genius get a little water get a little air in the bag the poop will come right out you won't need any lubricant I would imagine but then again I must be dreaming because nobody's ever thought of this.

Bill

Hello Warrior.
What a great idea!
One of the 'bags' that I use (at nights) is in fact an irrigation sleeve, folded up  and clipped at the top for a seal to form a large  'bag'.

These have an open top and bottom, which allows for easy washing and flushing through when there is any output. 
There are several advantages to this device in that the long sleeve allows for a lot of output, and for me to simply slide it under the tap to put lots of water in so that it can be thoroughly flushed through. The long sleeve also goes right down into the toilet  water so that there is no splashback.
Best wishes

Bill

patriciacampbell802
Reply to Bill

Hello 

what is the name of your bags. 

Bill
Reply to patriciacampbell802

Hello Patricia.
The adapted 'bags' I am referring to are 'irrigation sleeves'. There are several on the market from  different firms like Dansac, Hollister and Coloplast.
I am presently using the Coloplast version  (Assura 12836 60mm irrigation sleeve), because this 2 piece system also fits an 'ordinary 60mm bag', which means that I can use the same baseplate for both the sleeves and the bags.
I hope this information is useful to you and please don't hesitate to ask anything else you wish to know. 
Best wishes

Bill

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

i  know that. but some odor eliminator drops are lubricating. i am not saying m9 drops are.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Heppy8

That is what I do too, but I think I pull a little too hard on the bag sometimes.

L

vikinga
Reply to Beth22

I keep a small bottle near my toilet precisely for the purpose of rinsing out the tail of my pouche. Makes cleaning the tail much easier:)

vikinga

Taking Magnesium Citrate might help counter act the thick output.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to vikinga

I do take Magnesium Citrate actually to reduce the occurrence and severity of my migraines. I take it at night..it doesn't seem to have much impact on my output. Maybe makes it slightly less thick over night but when I take the iron in the morning it's back to thick city. I guess I just need to learn not to pull so hard on the bag when I am squeezing things out. Maybe I am being a little too rough. I donno

Lee

Jane doe
Reply to JVM261

Baby oil works , just a small amount !