Sores on Stoma: Seeking Advice and Help

Replies
Views
kittybou
Jan 09, 2024 2:12 pm

I noticed some sores on my stoma this morning. Not sure what to do. The surgeon is in KC. I can't drive that far (a little over 100 miles). Last time I went to the ER here, in bad pain, shortly after getting the stoma, the doctor there sent me home and said, "Take your pain meds." Turns out, I had an infection in my bowel stump. Had to be taken by ambulance to KC. What to do about the sores, please? They could be from pancaking overnight. My stoma itches and is bigger and bright red.

Kas
Jan 09, 2024 3:12 pm

Sounds like maybe a yeast infection. Maybe you could call your KC doc and send a picture to him.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,829 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Jan 09, 2024 10:11 pm

On your stoma or on your skin around your stoma?

kittybou
Jan 09, 2024 11:28 pm
Reply to AlexT

On the stoma. The skin around it is great.

Kas
Jan 09, 2024 11:35 pm
Reply to kittybou

I'm just guessing because I had one once and it was bright red and itchy, but it did involve the skin immediately under the stoma where the wax ring sits.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
kittybou
Jan 09, 2024 11:44 pm
Reply to Kas

That's interesting. I just switched to Coloplast bags, and the skin all around is fine. The doctor wants me to use some ointment. Maybe the doctor does not realize that to put ointment on, I would have to remove the bag. That might not work, and I don't have money to spend on a "maybe this will work."

AlexT
Jan 10, 2024 1:12 am
Reply to kittybou

🤔…..🤷‍♂️

kittybou
Jan 10, 2024 1:19 am
Reply to AlexT

Me too. Dr. did not phone Rx in.