Problems with Convatec wafer for 2 piece system

Replies
Views
Yats

I use convatec 2 piece colostomy drainable snap on bag system. I am having problems with feces getting trapped under rim (bag connect side/non sticky side) . I have tried taking q tip and putting baby oil under the rim to keep it from sticking, but it’s not helping. It mostly happens when I sleep on my back at night. Any suggestions to keep this from happening and will be greatly appreciated. I tried to upload photograph to highlight problem area, but unsuccessful attempt. I need to stay with convatec supplies due to skin sensitivity. 

Morning glory

Are you sure it is sealed all the way around?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,592 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler

Are you talking about pancaking? If your stool is solid/semi-solid and you sleep flat on your back it can't slide down. I sleep on my back also with my head and torso elevated at an angle. If you have a filter on the bag try closing it. Since you didn't mention smelling, I assume it is contained w/in the appliance. ConvaTec makes a lubricant you may want to try.

Yats

Yats

This is the wafer. Between the outer lip and inner lip there is a small pocket all the way around. When my stools are thicker and I sleep on my back, poo builds up in that small pocket area all the way around. No leakage, but when I change my bag, I usually have to change the wafer too! That’s defeating the purpose of usin the two piece system because i very sensitive skin. I thought by not having to change the wafer out so often would be great…..not so much

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Yats
Reply to aTraveler

Yes, I do the lubricant, I have started wetting Q tips and use those to clean my wafer. I finally got a picture to upload and tried to describe what is happening to the best of my ability. New to this and was wondering if anyone else has this problem with convatec wafer. 

Downtown

Hey Tyates, I use a similar Convatec 2-piece system, and have used it for 10 years or more.  I too have noticed what you're describing, but I generally change the wafer and the bag at the same time.  Early on, I used some smaller non-drainable pouches, but that got to be too much of a pain for me.  Yes, changing both defeats the "advantage" of the 2-piece system, but it's what I've been used to for a long time.  I should really investigate other options.  I change out the appliance about once every 5 to 6 days.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I do know what you're talking about.

aTraveler
Reply to Yats

Tyates, I am still confused. You are using a drainable pouch and your appliance is not smelling or leaking. Why do you need to change the pouch before changing the wafer. On average with colostomy's the whole appliance is changed every 4 days. A 2-piece appliance is not meant to last a long time permitting you time to keep it installed while you change multiple drainable pouches that you may keep each on for days. The 2-piece systen provides you the flexibility to switch out a full size pouch for a mini pouch wihout changing the wafer. It also facilitates using closed pouches. A drainable pouch typically last as long as it takes to need to change the wafer. Then you would change both. As to your original question, you typically would need to clean the wafer when you change your bag. It is not strictly necessary and some do and others don't. In addition to ConvaTec, Hollister and Coloplast 2-piece appliance's are no different in this regard. 

Mysterious Mose

You don't specify what type of ostomy you have. Regardless, if you sleep flat on your back, you are in a position to encourage seepage and pancaking. Ostomy devices operate under the principle of gravity. When you  are flat on your back, down is through your abdomen, which means the stuff is going to sit there and do what it can to escape. Sneaky shit is often successful in weaseling itself through any crevice no matter how small. 😂

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is either elevate yourself a la aTraveler or train yourself to sleep on your side.

Daniel

Hisbiscus

Why not just go into a one peice?