Does ADA address light timers in restrooms?

Replies
Views
keith.leathers
Mar 17, 2024 12:45 am

Does anyone know if ADA addresses light timers in restrooms? My wife had the lights go out on her while emptying her pouch in a handicap stall.

warrior
Mar 17, 2024 1:32 am

Say what?

Bad enough they have motion sensors to flush the damn toilet, you're telling me there is a timer for lights in restroom stalls? In America? That just seems so wrong. Doubt it falls under ADA, but it certainly isn't a reasonable accommodation by ADA law. I would talk to the store manager. Could be defective or needs an adjustment.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Mar 17, 2024 4:55 am

The lights in the bathroom at work will shut off if there's no movement after a certain amount of time. But any movement and they come right back on. I would think just moving a bit would trigger them to light back up.

Ben38
Mar 17, 2024 8:11 am

I don't know, but those lights should be banned in all bathrooms in my view. In a recent hotel stay, I was having a shower and the light went off while I was in there. I'm disabled and had to get out of the shower before the light would come back on.

Morning glory
Mar 17, 2024 11:27 am

That is awful. Lights should not be on these timers.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
warrior
Mar 17, 2024 3:33 pm
Reply to AlexT

That is correct... but inside a stall? Once you close that door, buddy, the sensor can't see movement.

Knowing you, hee hee, you'd keep that door open. You stud.

warrior
Mar 17, 2024 3:38 pm
Reply to Ben38

Right... that's so wrong. I feel for you. Tell the hotel. Say if you would have fallen, a lawsuit would be imminent. They would probably install a lamp in the bathroom for you at least.

This is a whole other messed-up area of concern. Advocate.

AlexT
Mar 17, 2024 5:32 pm
Reply to warrior

If you're in a stall and they go out, just open the door. That should trigger it to turn back on. Obviously, you're in there by yourself, so who cares what's hanging out. 🤭