Prolapsed stoma

Replies
Views
Tommy123

Hi 

I have a double barrel illiostomy and my left stoma which is my large colan (inactive and left to heal) has prolapsed about 6 inches out. I can slowly push it back in but when I stand up and move around it just falls straight back out, it doesn't hurt. I've been to the hospital and they wouldn't operate on it unless it got worse.  Has anybody else had this problem? My 

Beachboy

Seek out a better doctor.  1 or 2 inch prolapse is manageable... 6 inches!  No.

You have to be your own advocate.  Be a "pain in the ass."   Its 6 inches now... big cough or sneeze......

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,612 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

There is one place I'd like 6 inches..but that  is wishful thinking. Noo way a prolapse colon like that.  What beachboy said.. get it done by another doctor. 

geez!!!   alien worm??..snake plinskin. Move over.

Explain that to your date..while she's running away.  

Tommy123
Reply to Beachboy

Yeah it's literally the definition of my guts are hanging out. I will go back to the hospital and try again, it's becoming such a big nuisance. Is there any way to stop it from happening like placing something ever it to prevent it coming out until I can get an appointment? 

Beachboy

No, you don't want to force it... Stomach pressure is pushing it out.  Keep an eye on your stoma color.  Should be dark red to red.  If it turns grey.... go to emergency room as soon as possible.  Grey means blood flow has been compromised.  

I'm not sure this fix will work with a double barrel Illeostomy........  Fixing a prolapsed regular stoma can be done this way:  

Surgeon cuts the prolapsed piece off, leaving the stoma protruding an inch, to an inch and a half above the skin.  Using a linear stapler, or linear cutter stapler, fixes it in position.  No extensive surgery needed.

Good luck 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Beachboy

It might be possible to do no cutting. Surgeon pushes the intestine back down into the stomach, then staples it in position. 

lauann

Good Luck Tommy! Let us know when you are all healed up! Best Wishes

Laurie

Bill

Hello Tommy123.
Thanks for sharing your problem and I'm pleased to read some helpful replies that you already have. 

My stoma prolapsed about 2-3 months ago (I lose track of time so it could be longer).
Not only did it get longer but it spread out so that the wafer cut into it quite badly. This wound took a few weeks to heal and then I needed to find a way of managing the situation so that the prolapse could be kept inside and yet the output would be able to flow freely.
In presenting the prolapse to the stoma nurse, she was quite supportive at a psychological level, but had no practical solutions.
Having only one stoma, it was relatively easy to find a DIY solution to the management of this problem.
Firstly, I envisaged the type/shape of support device that would be needed to hold the stoma in to a reasonable distance. (I did not want to push it in all the way because, when it was a little way protruding, it had resolved a different issue with a restriction just inside the stoma).
Once I knew what I wanted, I took a trip around several supermarkets, unscrewing the tops of many different products to find the shape that I was looking for.
Eventually I found it on a bottle of bubble bath liquid. It was plastic, with a flat base like a wafer, a small smooth cone shape, leading to the screw top, which when cut off (because I didn't need the screw), had an overall length of about 1". The base of the cone was 1.5", which was a good fit for my stoma and the hole in the top was about 1", which was just right for holding the stoma's circumference and letting output flow. 
This device was set into my own baseplate and has worked quite well to gently but firmly hold the prolapsed stoma in to the length that I require, whilst allowing free flow of output.
Obviously, I could not be sure how this sort of device could be adapted to a two-stoma setup, but I thought I'd share it with you so that you could be aware of at least one possible DIY solution to the problem of a prolapsed stoma. 
Best wishes

Bill 

elwick

Hi, if you Google Sash medical, it's a company that makes stoma/hernia belts, you might find that they have something that will help your problem. Elwick

Beachboy

Nu-Hope medical makes an ostomy support belt with a prolapse strap.  I have one.  My colostomy stoma sticks out approximately 2 inches.  I'm a little guy... so it's very noticeable.  Using the belt with strap, my stoma can barely be seen.  I use when going out to dinner or to church.

Nu-Hope corporation is located in Pacomia, California USA.  I order their belts from my ostomy supplier.

TerryLT

Hi Tommy,  When I first got my ileostomy, I still had my stoma from my colostomy as well, and like yours, it was inactive.  My understanding is that it is your inactive stoma that is prolapsing, right?  I'm thinking that is why the doctors aren't too concerned about it, as it's not affecting your output and isn't painful.  Prolapses are very difficult to stop.  Once you've prolapsed, you probably will again.  Are they planning on taking down your inactive stoma at some point?  Mine was only temporary, and I'm not sure why they would leave anyone with a permanent stoma that isn't active, so that may be another reason they don't want to do surgery to correct it.  I had a terrible prolapse, around six inches, and it was extremely painful and stopped my output, but this was when I had an active colostomy stoma.  It was one of the reasons why they gave me an ileostomy.  I'd speak to the doctor again and try to get more answers.  Good luck.

Terry

7dragonflies.hm

I had a prolapse once, well several times really. Terrifying when it first happened as I'm sure you know. So...sugar. Sugar is like salt to a slug. And it's safe, from what I gather, look it up. Lay down and sprinkle sugar on it. It should shrink up. I had to have a colonoscopy through the stoma once and I told the doctor it was prolapsed before he started. He even called the wound care nurse and she suggested it. So, off his nurse went to the break room and came back with many packets of sugar. Because I had already looked it up and read about it, I knew it was an option but had been too scared to try it myself. Well, he got to ripping open the packets and sprinkling them on. I said "now forgive my ignorance here, but is this safe?" not wanting to insult him and he responded with "yeah, it's just sugar." with his hair all frizzed out lol. I felt like I was in a lab or something. 😂 But, sure enough, the thing slowly sucked back in. Now, whether or not it stays in is a different story. But....may be safer than pushing it in. Little sticky but whatever. I'd say wipe it clean afterwards with water and a soft paper towel or something. Might be worth a try but check it out first. Actually, I believe it was even on one of those ER TV shows once.

Beachboy

Takes me back to 1969.... the Archie's and... Sugar sugar.

7dragonflies.hm

Lol right! Or the good ol Pour Some Sugar on Me...that was my theme song at work for a while after I told my coworkers about it 😂🤣

Beachboy

I went a Journey, Cheap Trick, and Def Leppard concert a couple of years ago.  Def Leppard performed last.  They were SO LOUD... OMG.  We were 3rd  row back in front of the stage.  It was awesome.  

warrior
Reply to Beachboy

. ...ears still ringing?🙉

Ilostomy86

Would love to chat with you tommy

Beachboy
Reply to warrior

Head still ringing.... maybe that's what's wrong,!

Tommy123
Reply to Ilostomy86

Hi

Sorry only just got this message, how are you?

Beachboy
Reply to warrior

My ears were ringing in 3 octaves