Want to get out of my condo

Replies
Views
kayakkaren941

I am 73 years old and an ostomate with an iliostomy about a year ago. I have to empty my bag 6 times a day.

When you are out in public, how do you empty your bag? I can't kneel and I certainly can't  straddle the toilet backwards! I pretty much stay home because I don't know what to do. I still have leaks at least once or twice a week. I have zero confidence in going out anywhere. 

Help

AlexT

How do you empty at home? Take short trips out of the house, build up your time away from your comfort zone. Maybe you need to adjust something with your setup to eliminate, or at least minimize, the regular leaks. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,613 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

You might try different ostomy brands.  It takes a while to find a system that works for you.  Most brands offer free samples and have ostomy nurses on staff you can consult with.

Also consider moldable barrier rings.  They can help with leaks.

As for emptying your bag.  Have you tried sitting on the toliet in the regular way and carefully draining that way?  I have a colostomy, and sometimes empty mine that way when I'm too lazy to stand.

Are your leaks in the same place on the wafer?  When you take your wafer off at changing time, turn it over and examine the seal.  Note where the leaks are.  Over time, see if leaks occur in nearly the same spots.

You can cut moldable barrier rings.  So cut a couple of pieces off.  Then, using gloves, squeeze the pieces to flatten them a bit.  Stick the pieces where you are getting leaks.  Then put your wafer on.

Note:  Before putting your wafer on, hold the seal side of the wafer against your stomach on the side opposite your stoma.  This will preheat the wafer seal. Then peel off the plastic protective film and install wafer to your skin.  Hold it on your stomach for a minute, reposition hands and hold for another minute.

Let us know how you're doing.  There are other things you can do.

w30bob

Hi kayak,

First, get in touch with an ostomy nurse and get the leaking under control.  If you don't have one locally (call the hospitals in your area and talk to someone in the Wound Care department of each for recommendations), then call your ostomy supply manufucturer, as they all have ostomy nurses on staff that will talk to you for free.  

As for the frequent bag emptying........talk to your Gastroenterologist about motility meds.  There's ways to slow your bowels to reduce the number of times you have to empty your bag.  That, combined with a diet that works to solidify your output.......and knowing when to eat and how long it takes to get to your bag, should help you determine when you can go out and enjoy yourself. 

And lastly, some of the ostomy supply manufacturers make extra large ostomy bags that will let you extend time between emptying, but you'll need to contact the manufacturers to see who has what and if it will work with your barrier.  But do this after you figure out the solution to your leaking, as you may have to change brands to get that under control.  

Sounds like a lot to do, but in reality it's not that much.  A few phone calls and you'll be on your way.  Hope that helps!

;O)

aTraveler

You can try an ostomy bag liner when you go out. I was advised the best way to use the liner is to have one in your pouch and another in an extra pouch. When you need to empty your pouch snap it off and snap on the extra pouch. Then you can dispose of the liner and place another in it. You won't have to worry about straddling the toilet or leaks while you are out. The following site offers free samples:

https://www.colomajic-samples.com/

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Morning glory

Good advice  from others. Try sitting back on toilet and empty  that way .

eefyjig

Hi kayakkaren, Bob's advice is sound - get help with your leaks first. That will help you feel confident. And emptying can be as simple as aiming the end of your open bag towards the water between your legs. This gets trickier if your output is more liquid - you don't want it splashing outside the toilet or on you. But slow and steady works. Or you can bring a paper cup with you, empty into that, empty that into the toilet and dispose of the cup. "Necessity is the mother of invention." Practice at home to get the hang of it. We've all been there!

rlevineia

Karen.  Hang in there, lots of options.   I got a Kohler power flush toilet w/ a airport/motel type seat.  Elongated & open at one end.  I can sit & empty, easily.  Almost NO poop on toilet walls or seat.   It goes ROAR, when i pull the handle,  Got me used to toilets on the road.  Bag liners are a pain & messy.  Ate a big turkey sandwich while driving thru Canada Mts & had to empty, ASAP.  I invented a device for use in your car or anywhere.  A 3 sided medical container, easy to hold between your knees.  Drilled 2 tiny holes, to allow air to be evacuated when inserting a new bag.  I use the 10 bags Hollister puts in their boxes.  Fits nicely.  Black Doggie Park bags work & are Biodegradable.  After you empty & wipe, pull out the bag & knot it.  No mess or leaks.  Cost Nothing,  I marked the tiny air hole W/ a red marker.  Sorry for sideways pic, I can't fix it, 75 yr old Luddite.

TerryLT

I don't like emptying in public either, but sometimes it's necessary, so I just go prepared.  I always have a zip lock baggie with baby wipes in my purse or inside pocket.  If there is a dedicated 'disabled' washroom with its own sink, I will use it, otherwise in the stall, I will sit well back on the seat and empty.  I use one wipe to clean the seat first as I'm paranoid about public toilets, and another wipe to clean the end of my pouch after emptying, then another wipe to clean my hands before exiting the stall and getting to the sink.  Yes, lots of wipes, but it gets the job done.

Terry

IGGIE

G-Day Kayak, Stand in front of the toilet and place a few sheets of paper in the bowl, now open the bag and with a controlled release it will not splash back at you because of the paper in the bottom of the bowl. Give this a go and it might just be what you need to do. Regards IGGIE

Mysterious Mose

Most public toilets, in the U.S., have split front seats. I simply do the same thing I do at home. I sit on the toilet normally and scoot as far back as I can and empty my bag in the front. The only time I have problems with this method is on an airplane. Scooting back on an airplane toilet can trigger the damned flush button. That can be startling when you have an open bag in hand and you're not expecting that big WOOSH! Not a good place to make a mess on the floor! 🤣

Redondo

I place a couple of sheets in bowl and sit on the seat and empty into the bowl. Maybe just me but I also paper the seat or use the seat covers if available.