Swimming with an Ostomy Pouch

Replies
Views
NICUMOMMY3
Mar 23, 2024 5:35 pm

Hi guys, I want to be able to bring my daughter to the beach, but I have no idea how to protect it so it won't fall off or start unsticking. If any of you have any advice on what to put on it or just any idea on what I can do, please let me know. She is a baby, so she tends to move a lot.

aTraveler
Mar 23, 2024 5:53 pm

Flange extenders work for me. I use Coloplast's "Brava Elastic Barrier Strips." Hollister and ConvaTec also make flange extenders. Send for free samples and test in the shower. Also, it helps not to spend long extended time swimming.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Riva
Mar 23, 2024 6:41 pm

Wrap by Ostomy Secrets works well for me. Remember to stay well hydrated while at the beach. Enjoy.

Sorry about that - just realized you're asking about a baby.

infinitycastle52777
Mar 23, 2024 8:00 pm

When I go swimming, I wear a wrap that helps hold everything in place. You can also use adhesive strips, but put them on when everything is dry because I have found they don't stick well on a wet surface. Really, if you wear a two-piece and you have a belt on that attaches to your bag, then you should have no problems with the bag coming off.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Mar 24, 2024 1:31 am

You might plan to do a bag change after you are all done at the beach. That way, you can stop any leaks before they happen.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Happy-but-Newbie
Mar 25, 2024 2:35 pm

Hi Mommy :-)

I doubt you will find many wraps that fit your lovely baby, and that's a pity...

I have not tried it because they don't send to Spain, but multiple people suggested pink tape as a miracle worker in terms of resistance.

https://hytape.com/?v=920f83e594a1

Here you go...

Flange extenders might be too large as well, but asking for a sample won't hurt, and then you'll know.

anyark
Mar 25, 2024 7:11 pm

I do water aerobics a few times a week, and just have a stretchy suit on. It holds my bag in place and I don't use any other aids. In all these years of water aerobics, I have never once had a problem. That being said, I do check to make sure I don't have any leaks starting.

Tiggerpoo
Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm

I don't live near the ocean, but I do live near the White River. It's practically in my backyard. I go swimming all the time. Sometimes my bag will last another day; most of the time it lasts until the end of the day. The point is, I don't let it keep me from going swimming or chasing my little girl, who is 16 years old now. By the way, I've had my colostomy for five years now, and for almost five years I've lived next to this river. Good luck and don't be afraid.

rlevineia
Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Stealth Belt. They make a neoprene for swimming. Many wear their belts at night. It will hold the poop back if the wafer leaks. We hate cleaning the mess at 2 a.m. Their CEO claims to have put a pouch on loosely and ran for miles. The belt held it in.

garysatnav
Apr 29, 2024 11:50 am

I have an ileostomy and used to scuba dive in a wetsuit. It didn't affect my ileostomy at all.

Bob 48
May 08, 2024 3:19 am

I wear a Stealth Belt when I swim, and it does a good job keeping my ileostomy secure and tight against my body. I also have an Ostomy Secrets pouch that I wear daily, and I'm sure it would work fine for swimming also.