Why is My Colostomy Output So Much Higher Than Before?

Replies
Views
BobbiesZoo
Mar 26, 2024 4:39 pm

Just wondering why I have so much more output with the colostomy than I did before?

While I realize there will be a bit more since I use more things like Metamucil or Ex-Lax (being extra careful to avoid opioid-induced constipation), there is a LOT more, way more than I eat (and I know poop is more than just food). It seems like a crazy amount most days.

Sorry if this is a totally stupid question.

Bill
Mar 26, 2024 5:22 pm

Hello BoobieZoo.
Thanks for your interesting post. From my perspective, there is no such thing as  a stupid question for a site like this. 
When I take Metamucil, my output always increases quite a bit. I don't know the precise reason for this but suspect that the process is one where it expands and loosens whatever is already there, which is what it is designed to do. 
It doesn't bother me too much because I irrigate so I don't have the hassle of tending to a bag during the day. 
I would recommend irrigation to anyone who has that option, as it opens up a whole new world of stoma management that offers much more freedom from the potential drudgery of bags and toilets.
Best wishes

Bill  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,840 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory
Mar 26, 2024 5:48 pm

There are really no stupid questions here. If something is bothering you, you might try irrigation.

TerryLT
Mar 26, 2024 8:33 pm

Hi Bobbie, if you are adding Metamucil to your diet, you are adding psyllium fiber, which will add bulk to your output.

Terry

AlexT
Mar 27, 2024 12:32 am

So, you're saying you have more poop now than before having a bag? Well, yeah, you aren't using the normal muscles to hold the poop in anymore; it comes out when it wants/needs to, not when you decide to go. Also, if you were sick before your bag, you probably weren't eating too well, and now you're eating better… more poop. Add in the Metamucil stuff… even more poop. Poopology 101. 🤓

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister