Bleeding - Spotting After Panproctolectomy

Replies
Views
Duke77
Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

Looking for advice, I am 15 months post-op after having my colon, rectum, and anus removed and back passage stitched. I have started to bleed/discharge through a small 2-3 mm hole in my rectum scar. It's not a huge amount but is spotting and happening quite often. I went to see my surgeon, and he said to ignore it, just to keep the area clean. They were able to see the small hole but weren't worried.

Wondering if anyone else has a similar experience. For 3-4 months, I have had a chest and sinus infection, had antibiotics and steroids, and have struggled to shift the cough. Wondering if it could be from coughing and straining?

Any advice would be welcome.

Spotting happening quite regularly - had a stoma nurse check it. 

warrior
Mar 29, 2024 8:28 am

Good morning. I just went through all that was mentioned.

So firsthand, I would replace your surgeon or get a second opinion.

Rule of thumb is never to have anything leaking from that area. It provides a gateway for infection and/or abscess, which I just went through. No fun.

So get that opinion. Your doctor is an idiot playing with your health.

You could have blown your stitches or have a fistula. Both are serious indicators of side effects due to surgery. Rare, yes, but for the few of us? That's why we are here.

I am still recovering from my procedure last October.

Underwent two more sewing procedures because stitches blew and developed an abscess.

Get it fixed. Minor touch-up surgery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38
Mar 29, 2024 2:06 pm

It's a problem area to heal; you sweat a lot down there. I've known people that have taken years for their wound to fully heal. If you had a bad cough, that probably is the culprit that's irritated the area and made it open up slightly. Did your consultant/stoma nurse advise you to have salt baths to help the wound heal? If you only have a shower, put some salt in a sink basin and use cotton wool or similar to bathe the wound.

Duke77
Mar 29, 2024 4:52 pm
Reply to Ben38

Thanks for the advice. I will do that. I am to go back to the stoma nurse in a month. It seems to come and go, and I am doing my best to keep the area clean, etc. I will try the salt bath.

Duke77
Mar 29, 2024 4:53 pm
Reply to warrior

Yes. I think it's a good idea to have a second opinion. I will look into that and seek advice.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
warrior
Mar 29, 2024 6:01 pm
Reply to Duke77

Sounds good. Can't hurt having a 2nd opinion.

For me, it did hurt. The drainage and having it fixed twice was not part of the plan. It's a bad area to keep clean, and everything you do affects that area, like coughing. Ugh.

Just keep an eye out. It all can go south very quickly.

Hisbiscus
Mar 30, 2024 8:04 pm

Hi, I went through that and was told to buy a handheld shower head and to clean the area really well. Mine healed up with no issues.