Decision

Replies
Views
Okay

Hi,  I have a loop ileostomy and would really appreciate advice on whether to have a reversal or not. Gina

Mysterious Mose

Since you have a loop ileostomy, I assume your colon is intact. If that is the case, your changes are better for a reversal. But, not perfect. Since I have an end ileostomy and no colon at all, I decided against a reversal. So, I have no first hand experience to relate. The problem with reversals is that everyone is different. What works for one person may not for another. If your colon is properly healed and your anal muscles are still strong, you may have good results. Are you doing your pelvic floor exercises? They are important to keep those muscles strong. Personally, if I were as young as you and had a complete and (hopefully) healthy colon and it was within a year of the ileostomy surgery, I may opt for a reversal. Sorry if this is not overly helpful. Having a reversal is a difficult decision. What does your surgeon say?

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,579 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Gather all the information  that you can by researching.  Pros and cons. Talk to your Doctors and make an informed  decision. Good luck.

Morning glory

Gather all the information  that you can by researching.  Pros and cons. Talk to your Doctors and make an informed  decision. Good luck.

aTraveler

Okay this is a decision that is dependent on the individual. You need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your surgeon. Ask questions such as:

How complicated was the loop surgery?

What challenges he/she anticipates in performing the surgery?

How will these challenges impact your recovery?

If all goes well, do you anticipate my bowel movements returning to normal in regards to bowel control and frequency?

These are just some of the questions you should seek answers to while listening very carefully to how the questions are answered. Finally you have to think about how your body recovered after the loop surgery — If you didn't have any serious complications that is a positive. Others may tell you of their experience and that may lead you to additional questions. To repeat, talk to your surgeon for your unique situation and then make an informed decision.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
CrappyColon

Okay, can you share some details like why you have a loop ileostomy, how much of any colon you have left, any other issues that may affect recovery? I had a loop ileostomy and no abdominal colon left. Mine fell under the colitis but not ulcerative colitis umbrella… a virus or bacterial infection triggered an autoimmune reaction that killed the nerves in my colon paralyzing and making it useless. My current issues are not with the reversal itself but with Rheumatoid Arthritis (there’s my autoimmune variant), and after throwing up almost every time I ate for 14 years my brain-gut connection is still trying to sort out this eating multiple times a day thing. I have an IRA (ileorectal anastomosis) so end of small intestine hooked up to the lovely 8” of rectum that I have left. I had a Dr ask me how I go to the bathroom now… I answered the same way she has a bowel movement except what comes out of me is different since it doesn’t go through that final exit process by way of a colon. 

Okay

Hi,  Thank you for your helpful replies.  I had a lower anterior resection.  It is difficult to know the level of dysfunction that may occur after

reversal.  The stoma is perfectly manageable.  Having a reversal is a gamble.  I wonder what happens to the colon if I don't reverse?  Also,

I presume it is possible to maintain a healthy diet long term with an ileostomy? Thank you again, Gina

aTraveler
Reply to Okay

Gina, the questions you are asking are quite legitimate. They are questions your surgeon can give reasoned answers to. Go talk to your surgeon — you are not asking for a favor, you and/or your insurance have paid for the answers you are seeking. I typed my questions on my cell phone and opened them when talking to the surgeon. My surgeon would ask to see my phone and then would answer all my questions and any follow-up questions the answers may have generated. I even requested to have a copy of my hospital notes. These notes were very helpful and formed the basis of some of my questions since there were things in the notes I didn't understand. You should also seek to get your hospital notes.