New ileostomy question on leakage

Replies
Views
tubbycreekfarm

Hello All,

I'm three weeks post ileostomy surgery. Most things are going well, eating, staying hydrated etc except I tend to have leakage around the wafer sooner than expected.

I'm using a Hollister 2 piece and changing the bag out 2-3 times a day. i cannot roll the bottom of a drain-able bag. Anyways, I've been having to change the wafer almost very day. It seems the excrement gets between the paste and wafer. The leaks out.

Clean it well, dry it, skin prep/barrier. paste, install, hug it for 30 seconds.

I have started cutting it just big enough to fit without rubbing.

Do I need more paste?

Does my stoma not stick out far enough?

Hisbiscus

Hello,

Lots to think about with this. I can just give my experience. 

A ring will work better than paste in my opinion.

Hollister cera ring, adapt ring etc. They do way better than paste

A

Hand lotions on your hands can cause problems cuz they get onto the bag or area. 

Some shampoos and conditioners in the shower can cause issues with the seal. The moisturizers in them get into the bag and area in the shower. 

What soap are you cleaning your stoma area? Dial or ivory with no scent or moisterizers s what I was told by my nurse. 

Are you getting all the old adhesive off before applying a new one? 

My regimen is

Take bag off with adhesive remover wipe. DO NOT JUST PULL IT OFF!!  Go slow so you don't rip skin. If you rip skin it's going to cause issues with wafer sticking. Get all build up of adhesive off of the area around my stoma and where the wafer was with one or two more adhesive remover wipes. Clean the area real good with soap and water on a paper towel making sure to get all that adhesive remover off. Grab a new paper towel and soap up again if needed and then rinse with a few more paper towels with water only on them repeat a few times with a new paper towel rinsing. Dry the area very, very well before applying new wafers 

Also are your wafers cut too fit? Or do you cut yourself? A new stoma will change size so if the hole is too big or too small can cause leaks.

I hope some of this helps and also lots of you tube videos on ostomy to  help us

It looks like your getting a rash a bit from the leaking. Don't let that go on too much longer. 

Best if you can get in with a stoma nurse.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,621 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

Good points by Hisbiscus.

Wash hands well with soap that has no fragrance, lotions, or dyes.  These chemicals will interfere with wafer adhesion.  I use Cetaphil bar soap. 

With clean hands, now carefully scrub the peristomal skin around your stoma using the same soap.  Be extra careful around stitches.  Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.  Now use adhesive remover wipe to carefully remove any residual adhesive remaining around the stoma.. careful around those stitches.  Use a finger, and highly press the skin down around your stoma.  As you pull your finger up, If it feels sticky anywhere, use another remover wipe.  Check again.

I use a Hollister 2 piece like you.  But I have a colostomy, so much less of a leak problem.  Illeostomy is harder to leak proof.

You might try a moldable barrier ring instead of paste.  I use Coloplast Brava moldable ring, 2 inch diameter.  You might have to wait until your stitches are removed.  You don't want to pull anything out.

Advantage of the ring is you can cut a larger wafer hole.  The ring seals against the stoma, wafer seals to the ring.  You can also add a ring to the top of the wafer, sealing the stoma.  This way you have a double seal.  A ring under the wafer, and one on top.

Are you using a support belt?  Hollister makes a thin elastic belt that clips onto the bag, holding it secure.  I wear one everyday.

There are also wider support belts.  Nu-Hope corporation makes a variety of belts.  Many Ostemates put on a belt for an hour or so after a wafer change. 

Also hold the wafer against your stomach on the side opposite your stoma for a minute to warm it up, then remove the plastic backing and fit it onto your stoma.

You can order support belts from your ostomy product supplier.

aTraveler

Instead of paste, try a barrier ring. All the major manufactures (Coloplast, ConvaTec, Hollister) have barrier rings:

Coloplast: Brava Protective Seals

ConvaTec: Eakin Cohesive Seals

Hollister: Adapt Barrier Rings

If using rings doesn't work you may need to try a convex barrier or moldable barrier. I recommend getting free samples of each for your experimentation after your stitches are healed.

w30bob

Hi Tubster,

You have an ileostomy and only change your bags out 2-3 times per day?  Not sure why you can't roll up a bag bottom, but we'll save that for another day.  How full are your bags when you empty them?  I mean they must be about to burst if you're only changing them 2 or 3 times per day, unless you don't eat.  You can't let your output sit around your stoma, like if you sleep on your back, or if your bag is so full that when you grab it to empty it pushes the output up and around your stoma.  So there's that.  And obviously if you have any gas in the bag and you squeeze it the gas will be forced between  your barrier and your skin, so be mindful of that as well.

Your stoma looks plenty long in the pics...........but does it retract at night or when you haven't eaten in some time?  You don't want it retracting below the height of the ring and barrier, or output will get between those and your skin.  Next, like everyone suggested, try a barrier ring instead of the paste. The paste is junk, as it breaks down very quickly when in contact with liquid output and even the "sweat" from your stoma.  When you apply the ring, put it on your skin (not on the back of the barrier) and make sure it fits snug up against your stoma (don't cut the hole in the ring the same size as your stoma, make sure it's a little smaller, so it hugs your stoma well.  Even if you decide to stick with using paste, put the paste on your skin around your stoma.....and then put the barrier over the paste.  This is the only way you can be sure the paste seals well to your stoma.  

If none of these tips work then you need to start taking your barrier off BEFORE it starts leaking and see if it gives you any clues why it's leaking and where the leak starts from.  Also as mentioned before, wearing a belt is highly recommended, and keep the belt snug, but not so tight it distorts the barrier.  You have what looks like a perfectly normal stoma and surrounding skin, so you shouldn't be experiencing any leaks.  Don't let your skin irritation get much worse or you'll have a lot more problems to deal with.  If the leaks don't stop very soon, get in contact with an ostomy nurse, either locally or at Hollister, and let them walk you thru what they think the problem is.  

Hope this helps,

bob

;O)

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
tubbycreekfarm
Reply to w30bob

Bob,

Great info, thanks.

The barrier ring i think is the next step to try. I cannot roll a bag up because I have a spinal cord injury and my fingers don't have enough 'pinch" to roll it up and seal it. I've been changing my bag at 1/3 full to 1/2. I eat three square meals and snacks. I am taking Imodium to keep it from being to watery.

As someone who uses a wheelchair I have watched myself and I do think i have a couple things I do when I go to reach for things that might be pressing my stoma against my thigh I'm going to keep an extra eye on that too.

You did give me some good info, thanks.

Randy

tubbycreekfarm
Reply to aTraveler

Thank you, yes i do think te ring might be my next try something new

tubbycreekfarm
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thanks for your comments.

I think a ring is definitely next

ron in mich

Hi Randy welcome to the site, you got a lot of info to digest but its all good, i,ve found with the barrier rings/seals the eakins are easier on the skin but the brava seals are more durable but harder to remove when changing the wafer.

Ravna666

Hi!

It looks like you have a good fit around your stoma, and your stoma sticks out far enough, so it’s got to be back wash of stool from the bag, up and around the stoma, and getting underneath it.

I used to use paste for years and finally switched to Brava rings…so much better! I also don’t use soap of any kind, ever…just warm water…and use skin prep wipes, dry, then I dab on Torbots Skin Tac. Just don’t apply it to the area immediately around the stoma on the sutures till they’re gone.

So, clean with water only, dry…skin prep, dry…Skin Tac, dry, thin Brava ring, then flange.

Both skin prep and Skin Tac dry quickly.

Oh, and when taking a bag off, make sure you try and secure the base flange down while pulling up on the bag to take it off, so the wafer doesn’t come loose with each bag change.