What are the worries of going out to eat with an ostomy?

Replies
Views
Broken Pipes

Just curious what are the worries or concerns when going out to eat at a restaurant or a party? My biggest worry now with my condition is eating something that doesn't agree with me and having an accident. So, i stick with safe foods but sometimes that misfires! My condition now is SCI with neurogenic (flaccid) bowel with possible future elected colostomy. Thanks

Axl

Hi BP

What do you mean by an accident ?

Should be no issues so long as there is a toilet handy should you need one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,579 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

None I've  had my ileostomy over 30 years so I know what I can and can't eat and having loose output for the last 20 years of living with a stoma I just take whatever as it comes, when I remember too I carry 1 spare bag folded in half in my pocket so can change if needed but that rarely happens and when it does it's not a problem. 

AlexT

No concerns at all. Go out, eat, and enjoy with an ostomy. Does your condition react that fast when you eat? I’d presume it still takes at least a little time to get thru your system. 

IGGIE

100%  agree with J, Get out there and life for the day.   By the way J, Osters don't work as an Aphrodisiac I had a dozen the other day and only 11 of them worked.  Regards IGGIE

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
JVM261

If I have caffeine or something that thins output with the Illiostomy, if I know I am going to do that, before hand I take three anti diarrhea pills. Yes, carry an emergency kit I carry a ziplock with everything I need for a change. Add in a trash bag. I adjusted my meals when out. For example I still do chipotle I just avoid well most of the stuff. I get rice, meat, cheese, sour cream…I am happy with that alone. Some here can eat beans, corn, salad with no issue, every one seems different. Just like people say try a small amount of foods to start. And empty the bag before you go out if you can. Chew everything really well. I just reread your post. I think if you have an elected end colostomy you should be just fine. I hear you can get a closed pouch that you just change once a day and you can eat pretty much whatever you want. You don’t have to really worry about thin output or acidity. I think a barrier ring would be a good idea. But I think it’s a much easier time to have a colostomy than it is an ileostomy and if I’m wrong, correct me. I think the only thing is if your bowels empty at night, you might have to get up a little earlier like put an alarm clock to get up a little earlier and empty the bag or change the bag. But you should be fine and if you have an SI you just really want to keep an eye on if it’s red or if there’s any inflammation and they will tell you at the clinic how to take care of that. Get a good ostomy nurse. I’m in a chair due to another issue and if I had a choice, maybe I would get an end colostomy because it sounds much easier. I had an emergency surgery for my bacteria infection, and I have an Ileostomy that I’m looking to get reversed. I never had problems with control before, so that’s why I’m doing it. If I do have problems after the reversal, I will definitely opt for a permanent ileostomy, but at least I know I have the choice. Also, when you get the colostomy, you might not feel pain if you have a blockage so you have to watch out and if you feel nauseous or sweating, like with any other kind of sore or anything like that, go to the hospital right away. But I knew somebody with a colostomy And spinal issues for like 20 years, and I think he went to the hospital for blockages three times. He never ate nuts whole, he never ate any beans. But other than that he lived a good full life-passed well into his 70’s. And the blockages were never too hard to take care of in the ER.

dmo101

No concerns for me for 30+ years while I am out n about.

Your body takes hours to digest food ( a bit faster with missing portions of colon).

If your are dining out for a few hours or partying hardy  I would think u would be OK.  

Some foods like Chinese can give me issues, starting at 6 hours after consumption upto 12 hours later.

Just whatch what you eat and enjoy what u eat.

Beachboy

I've had a colostomy for a little over 15 months. 

My wife & I go out to fast food and resturants nearly every day.   Never had an accident.  There have been a few times my bag filled to capacity with gas, or output.  I just get up and zip to the nearest bathroom and take care of it.  If I'm at a friend's house and get a bag full of gas, I'll say I have to get something out of my car and do a bag burp outside. 

Like others have posted, carry a spare bag folded up and a disposal bag (like the dark colored ones that come with Hollister 2 piece system). 

If I get a sudden nearly full bag at a friend's house, hit the bathroom, unsnap the bag, put it into the disposal bag, tie a knot on the disposal bag.  Snap on the new bag.  Put the disposal bag in my cars trunk to properly dispose of later.  By doing this, I don't stink up my friends bathroom/house.

Living with a stoma... you're going to become very familiar with poop.  You really have to become used to it and not get grossed out.  

I'm in Las Vegas right now on vacation.  Last night we were at a sports bar/resturant watching Dodger Baseball.  Midway through, I reached down and checked my bag... suddenly 3/4 full.  I zipped off to a bathroom for a quick draining, put in some M9 drops, and returned to watch San Diego beat the Dodgers.  I always wear a Hollister thin belt that clips into the bag flange.  Gives me peace of mind that a heavy bag of poop won't pop off.  I also use an IGGIE clip (a small binder clip) to secure the velcro closure at the bottom of the bag.... so no surprises.  

Beachboy
Reply to IGGIE

Hey IGGIE,

maybe try a "bakers dozen" 

Shalaway

I am 6 months post op (removal of complete sigmoid colon, full rectum & entire anus & don’t let the colostomy stop me from doing anything. As long as you are prepared in advance there should be no reason why you can’t enjoy yourself.

We just recently took our first flight to see friends, incorporated a train journey too before reaching our destination. No problem & felt quite proud of myself.

I was exhausted by the time we returned home after our three nights away but I was given a second chance to live following my thirteen hour surgery and that’s exactly what I am doing 🙂

w30bob

Hi Broken,

If I'm reading you right you currently suffer from NFB from your spinal cord injury, and don't have an ostomy.  You're biggest concern when you get one will be making sure your bag hasn't filled.  Once the colon is disconnected from the rectum you lose control of when you empty.........probably just like you have now.  Depending on how much food is in your colon, you just need to keep an eye on the rate at which your bag fills.  I don't know if NFB involves a change in motility or just the sphincter function.  How quickly your bag fills will depend on a lot of things, but because there's no real sensation of when it's filling you'll just need to check periodically.  This is especially true if you ate significantly during the meal before you go to the restaurant.  Being a colostomy, I'm guessing you could irrigate, which should really help you with your output timing.  

;O)

Mysterious Mose

I've eaten in restaurants around the world with my ileostomy (well, okay. Just in the U.S. and the U.K.) with no issues. As long as the place has a usable toilet, all is good. :-)

Daniel

JVM261

Yeah, as long as an accessible bathroom is near you should be OK but I’m sure before the ostomy like I’m sure how your life is now you already have to look out for eateries with accessible bathrooms. So at least, when you start this new chapter of your life, if you do decide to, that won’t be an issue. Probably with the bag it’ll be less of an issue than it is now because you’ll have more control actually. As long as you have a good bag system, and your insurance is good, I think you’ll have more control and better peace of mind. And you don’t have to worry so much about bedsores after the procedure. Really if I had a spinal cord injury and I could choose an end colostomy I would do it. Especially if I was having trouble with bowel control before hand. Try to find the support group in your area and talk to those people one on one who have lived with it. I think that will help also. When I spoke to my ostomy nurse, she said that the biggest problem with people who have SCI (if injury is high up) and the bag Is that if you have any irritation you won’t feel it so unless you’re looking at it you may not know, so you got to change the bag every 3 to 4 days. But you’re output won’t be so acidic so you should be fine. Still, Keep a good eye on your skin around stoma and I think you’ll do well. I want to add that when I was in the hospital, I got weaker as the days went on and then I made a turnaround. But I was too weak to sit up in my wheelchair, or to sit up in any chair, and I couldn’t transfer And they didn’t want to get the Hoyer lift Because they were so busy. So they got a silicone measuring cup, and they just emptied me in that and took that to the bathroom. And I saw somebody else online that uses that method, and they put like a dog Poop bag in the measuring cup And they empty like that when they are working, and on the go and say like mobility is impaired. Just close up the bag and toss it away.

Broken Pipes

Thank you all for the replies! I appreciate it...Just to be clear, I do not have the ostomy yet and am still trying to talk myself out of it but with my SCI condition, it seems to be the best option at this point! The reason i asked my question is just curious what happens if you eat something that doesn't agree with your tummy, and what kind of sounds the stoma and bag make? My tummy seems to growl alot but i'm pretty sure it's my intestines making all the noise pushing waste through.

IGGIE

G-Day Broken Pipes,  If you go ahead and get a Colostomy let me recommend that before you have the operation you have the hairs where your stoma will be professionally and permanently removed. This will stop the problem some people have with hairs around the Stoma.   A stoma never killed anyone but they have saved a lot of lives. Regards IGGIE

AlexT
Reply to Broken Pipes

A stoma will make fart sounds just like your butt does. If your medical professionals say your condition is permanent and you don’t have any or little control of when you go, the decision to get an ostomy should be an easy one to make. When I went thru chemotherapy and was running to the bathroom 20-30 times a day cause I had very little control of being able to hold it in(my cancer was right on that muscle that controls that), it got very very old very quickly and there’s no way I’d maintain that lifestyle. Plus, I was going thru underwear at an alarming rate. 😁 Nowadays, I go pretty much like I did before and unless my ostomy stuff fails somehow(which I’ve only had happen twice but I’ll take the blame for both times), I never have to worry about accidents like I did or like I’m guessing you do right now. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Broken Pipes
Reply to AlexT

Ya, my condition is permanent. Been living with it for 27 years now. But as i get older seems to be getting worse. And hey, at least with a fart out your butt you can muffle it in the seat cushions! lol...an hopefully it's only a fart! Is there a way to muffle a stoma fart??? haha

warrior

I have had an ileo for several years. A permanent  one.

And recent kenn butt. I had no other choices in this matter.

From what I have read abt ileo vs. Colostomy   , and if you had a choice between the 2, the Colostomy is likely the best for most normal  people.

People with SCI ?? probably isn't much different. IDK...

It will depend on your condition..limitations,   mobility..just talking out loud here. If yur SCI  effects your hands, a colostomy it seems to me, is less maintenance.  

Less worries.  Less leaks..

As for the sounds it makes getting either of these?  You will have a fast come back line to amuse near by friends or strangers.

" frogs".

" was the you?"

" damn that fried banana". 

AlexT
Reply to Broken Pipes

Yes, there are actually mufflers you can put in a wrap or belt that’ll help with the sound. I prefer to flex my abs and get a couple more notes out so I have no experience with them. 😁 Remember, there is no smell with farting, so you just say oops and go on. 🤷‍♂️ Now, if you open the bag to let the air out and there’s people around, that’s just plain mean. 😁

warrior

..I think..Midas is having a sale on mufflers this week..or was meinke?..toot toot. 

Kimmy050263

I have not really had any issues going out to dinner.  One time though, Ms Stoma, as I call her decided to spew her liquid again and again. As luck would have it, they seated us right by the rest rooms!  I just kept excusing myself to get up and empty.  My boyfriend is always very understanding of my situation.  Yesterday we went out for an early dinner and he asked "shouldn't you empty before we leave?"  I thought I was good, but when I stood up I said "oh, you are right, time to empty."

All this to say, the bag has not stopped me from going out to dinner and enjoying food.  I am mindful about what I eat.  Have learned what is good and what is not.  I had one time we ordered pizza in, the onions were not cooked really well, I had a really hard time coaxing the stuff out of the Stoma.  Was an interesting experience and lesson learned.

Kim

Beachboy
Reply to Kimmy050263

Sorry... you got me laughing at "coaxing onions" out of your stoma. 

Gotta be tough to be an Ostomymate.

Silveradokid

Hi Broken Pipes. From what you initially wrote. and then clarified, my recommendation would be to accept your doc's advice to have a stoma. It will prevent the accidents you're concerned about! With an ileostomy, there is less processing of your food intake, so the output has very little odor. With a colostomy, your food is processed to a greater degree, resulting in a much stronger scent. As far as the sound of releasing gas is concerned, buy a dog and blame it on him/her or blame it on one of your kids. THAT worked for me once in a hotel elevator...