Prolapsed Stoma: Seeking Solutions for Swelling and Discomfort

Replies
Views
April
Good morning fellow ostomates,

I've enjoyed this website since signing up a few months ago, and many of you have helped with coping techniques and helping me realize that I'm not the only one dealing with these challenges.

I have a very annoying situation with Slinky here (stoma's pet name) and am wondering if anyone else has, or has had, the same problem, and if you've found a solution, either through surgery, manipulation, or anything else.

I have had my ileostomy since June 2010. Until last fall, it was a normal size. Not even noticeable under my clothes. I could wear pretty much anything and could do the activities I did before the surgery. Now though, it's a different story.

The stoma began prolapsing last fall. It is now about 6 inches long and curves outward at the end. It swells up and gets very hard dozens of times throughout the day and is VERY noticeable through my clothes. It's quite noticeable even when it's not swollen (looks like I've grown a male appendage). I've always taken pride in my excellent physical shape, but it has become painful to even play a round of golf. The stoma bleeds quite a bit.

Has anyone out there had this problem? Is surgery an option? There's no way I'll accept this thing long term.

April
three
Hi April ~ A prolapsed stoma is "fixable" with surgery. While you are waiting for a "fix", there's a simple solution that will help minimize the prolapse and protect your stoma. Contact Convatec in Canada at 1-800-465-6302 and ask them to send you their free "Stoma Guard" to cover and protect your stoma (it also helps reduce the amount of prolapse even though that is not its purpose). They do not provide the elastic belt to hold the shield in place, so you will need to buy one. The Convatec belt is of poor quality; however, the clips on the better quality Coloplast belt (#2015-02) fit the Convatec shield. This belt costs around $10 if you do not have full insurance. When wearing the shield, there's a tendency for thick output to "pancake" under it; if this happens, don't forget to momentarily lift the shield away from your stoma and use your thumbs to work the output down into the bag. If you forget to do this, the pressure can build up under the shield and begin to lift your flange and cause a leak. I learned this in the school of wickedly shocking public mishaps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

April

Thank you so much!!!! I've called Convatec and they are sending the Stoma Guard. I've ordered the Coloplast belt too through Shoppers HHC. The rep at Convatec was surprised and interested to hear the reason for ordering the stoma guard. Ahhhh, relief might be in sight.

dsmithsc91

April,

My first stoma prolapsed, and was fixed surgically last November with great success. I'm back as active as ever. In fact, I'll be racing my first triathlon post cancer/ostomy tomorrow. Good luck to you.

Dave

April

Thank you, Dave. That's very encouraging to hear. I'll discuss it with my doctor. And good luck to you with the race.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
c_d_oreo

Hi Dave, that's great you got fixed. What was the surgical procedure to repair the prolapse? Do you have a bulged hernia as well? Thanks for replying.

Dennis