Problems with Hollister

Replies
Views
Paula D

I read other people were having problems with Hollister products. My wafers will not stay on like they did before pandemic. I have called Hollister and they sent a free box but that does not solve what is happening. I still work a very laborious job , because I have to. And when you’re ostomy products do not work, it is extremely difficult and embarrassing!

Has anyone found a solution to this. I am becoming more and more frustrated. I can’t afford not to work. I get no help and the really horrible insurance does not cover my ostomy  products . 

Mark1070

Sorry you're having trouble; this can be so frustrating.  Maybe try to get samples from other companies to see if they adhere better?  Either way, it would be good to have your WOCN look at your peristomal skin to rule out skin issues causing the problem. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,613 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

amkevergreen

Greetings!!

Sounds like you're the Lucky One who can still get out there and make things happen!!

Continuous bending with sweating is not a good mix with any manufacturer... I fear you are a daily changer...

good luck!!

Morning glory

I am hearing Hollister products  are not made as well as they once were from several people now. Are you making sure that your skin is prepared  sufficiently  before attempting  to put on your waffer? Clean and completely dry?  No lotions. or powders on?  Perhaps  try other companies; get free samples.  Hopefully  you will find the right one.

AlexT

Never had an issue with mine and I work/live a pretty active lifestyle. 🤷‍♂️

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy

I've used Hollister 2 piece system for a year and a half.  No trouble so far.  I returned to work 3 weeks post op, and was active.  I am careful about skin prep before putting on a new wafer.  I use 3M Cavilon barrier spray.  Change wafer every 7 days.

TerryLT

I continue to use Hollister products and have had no problems, fingers crossed.  The only differences I've noticed are positive ones.  The fabric they are using on their pouches now does not break down and tear or wear through like the old fabric did.  On the other hand, this new fabric doesn't dry as easily as the old stuff and I need to spend more time with the  blow dryer after getting out of the shower.  The other difference is that the opening at the tail end is easier to open when emptying.  It worries me to hear that people are experiencing problems because in most cases, quality in consumer products is going down, not up, and if ostomy products follow in this trend, we will be in big trouble.  We have to be able to trust our ostomy products.  If your ostomy appliance fails, it's a little more serious than having your new blender break down after a few months.  I would just recommend that anyone who is experiencing product failure, make sure you are letting the manufacturer know, loud and clear.  

Terry

infinitycastle52777

When I had trouble getting a bag to stay on it turned out to be partly due to the location of my ostomy. It was in my waistline and a bag would not stick. I don't know if this is an issue for you, but the only thing that fixed it for me was having my ostomy re-located. It was moved up a little higher and was out of the way of my waistline and I am now able to wear bags with no problems. I use Hollister 2 Piece system. 

Kimmy050263

I use Hollister 8901 bags and wafers.  Some tips and tricks I learned here really helped alot.  Just recently I started getting leaks, but I think I was compromising the seal on the bag by adding baby oil, skipped the baby oil this last change, no issues. Ms Stoma appears to be a bit happier also. Hmmm... All a learning curve!

aTraveler

There are a few things you can try to support the wafer:

1) Hollister makes a belt to hold the wafer closer to your body

2) Apply "Skin-Taco" to your skin before applying your wafer:  https://torbot.com/product/product-175/

3) I wear an ostomy vest if going out socially or if I will be doing a lot of bending: https://comfizz.com/collections/tops/mens

4) "Nu-Hope" makes a support belt. I wear one around the house (covered by insurance) : https://nu-hope.com/

5) Also, although expensive, the Stealth Belt Pro is another option: https://www.stealthbelt.com/pro-horizontal-vs-vertical

6) Barrier Extenders provide additional adhesion. A few are:

a) ConvaTec's Ease Strips

b) Coloplast's Brava Elastic Barrier Strips

c} Hollister's Adapt CeraPlus Barrier Extenders

d) Entrust's Crescent Barrier Extension

7) If you notice a spot that consistenly comes loose, try taping over that boundary with "3M Medipore H Tape." 

Due to the location of my stoma, adhesion was a problem therefore I experimented extensively to find a solution. 

Hisbiscus

Try convatec or Coloplast. 

AlexT
Reply to aTraveler

Do those Comfizz vests things have a pouch to hold your bag or are they just by compression? 

aTraveler

see next post

aTraveler
Reply to AlexT

It has pretty mild compression, but does support the pouch, and does not restrict stoma flow. I also have a StomaShield and unless I am being intimate with my spouse, I usually use it, underneath the vest, to funnel stoma output down into my pouch — not strictly necessary but I am over protective of my stoma. My stoma is pretty high; therfore wraps and belts do not work very well since they tend to slip up or down when bending or any non-trivial movement.

Uro2011

I had issues once and got a bad batch. I took them back to my supplier and was given new boxes of pouches. The serial/batch number was recorded so that Hollister can investigate. Mine were only lasting a day and I usually get around 7 days with a urostomy. The new batch was fine. I have heard this can happen. 

dooppy
Reply to TerryLT

Yeah Hollister products are the only ones I don't get allergic reactions to.

The only downsides I've found is that 1. the gas filter usually doesn't last more than a day. 
2. the outer cloth can become stinky despite perfect seal and no leaks (I use Febreze odor spray for that).

I haven't had a single leak in 3 years, so I would never use a different brand (Coloplast is the worst, makes me break out in hives).

I've actually noticed an increase in quality of the bags/rings rather than a decrease

drums_weights_ileostomy

I've been having the same problem, lately.  I just ordered some samples from colopolast.