Poppy Seeds

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

I know whenever I ask here people say they eat everything without any problems. That is not the way with me though. I have a ileostomy and it is very cranky. Spits out everything. Doesn't matter how much I chew. Just loves to act out. I have heard that seeds are not recommended for ileostomates, but I was just wondering I mean poppy seeds are very small. If I ate a poppy seed muffin would that cause issues? I mean those seeds are so tiny. I just keep seeing the muffin mix in the store and it keeps calling to me. I haven't had a poppy seed muffin in years but I used to really like them. Lemon Poppy Seed muffins. 

AlexT

Did we not go over this with your strawberry seed thread. Tiniest things you’ll probably ever eat, so enjoy. You can deal with all the little hard bumpy things in your bag later. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,610 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Happytostillbehere

I've sprinkled "everything seasoning "on food and never had a problem and that's got all kinds of seeds and spices. I have an ileostomy also.

eefyjig

Hi there, not sure why spitting everything out is causing an issue. Is it causing a blockage? Is it painful? My stoma spits all kinds of things out, sometimes kind of whole, like pieces of mushroom. I assume it's doing its job and I'm good as long as everything is coming out as expected. Can you explain a little more? Thanks! 

warrior

When u get the " call"..for poppy seeds muffins...don't answer it.

Water melon seeds are pretty scary for me. Seeing them pass. 

But.. ain't stopping me..from eating water melon.  

Handle it as u see spit.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to warrior

That’s why you buy seedless watermelons, duh. 

Morning glory

You won't  know until  you try.  Just don't  eat all at one time.. 😂. 

TerryLT

I eat a whole grain bread that has lots of seeds, many of them bigger than poppy seeds, and I've never had a problem.  I've also eaten poppy seeds with no issues.  Yes, they come out whole, but as long as they come out and don't cause any problems, there is no need to worry.

Terry

warrior
Reply to AlexT

...Alex, Hey bro..not sure what Nebraska sells as seedless..but over here seedless water melon has white seeds in them, pits? . Not the black ones as you might be assuming.  No..won't go there with those.

White seeds in seedless melons. There's  your " duh"  buddy.

Raise of hands for those who know WTFUDGE I'm talking about.  

You stoma will turn them out faster than a spit ball.  

DexieB
Reply to warrior

Raising my hand.  🤚 it’s the white seeds!! 

Caz67
Reply to AlexT

Alex your bloody funny 🤣 xx

warrior
Reply to Caz67

He's a blunt type of guy..🤦‍♂️..too...love u bro..

Dyan
Reply to warrior

Yep, white seeds, they are smaller than black ones.  BUT there is an occasional black one in a seedless watermelon as well.

jansarirn

I’ve had my ileostomy for about  1 1/2 yrs.  I think the problem with seeds is the potential for swelling of the seeds and blockage of our stoma.  Seeds that have been cooked, canned or perhaps toasted won’t necessarily swell anymore.  You could try a kitchen chemistry test (says the old nurse.). Take the seeds from the type of food you want to eat, put them in a glass of body temp water for about 4 hours and see if they swell.  If they don’t, try a small amount, having that be the only new food of the day.  Of course, most of us don’t know the interior diameter of our stoma, so it won’t be exact, but may add to your comfort level as to what foods you want to try and which ones you want to give a pass on.  It’s the work to fun ratio—is it worth the risk of blockage for the fun of eating a specific food?  Good luck!

Lins0808

Hi,

I've had my ileostomy since I was 11 years old, I'm 54. I had a bowel obstruction that required surgery when I ate too many strawberries as a teenager. I think the seeds all clumped together and I couldn't pass them. I am very careful about too much fibre, seeds, and chew things well. Moderation is the key and over time I figured out what works for me. 

I'm not a doctor, but my stoma is small, maybe this has something to do with it, but when things pass out of it whole (like an unchewed mushroom) it is very uncomfortable. 

I have a protein/spinach/etc...smoothie most mornings to make sure I get my greens. 

Best of luck!

Doe1mama
Reply to eefyjig

Reminds me of the time my husband's spit out something soft and round. We jokingly said it looked like he gave birth to something. 

Doe1mama

My husband eats everything bagels with no problem. And just recently tried cashews. He chews them well and did fine. To be honest, I'm happy to see his ileostomy spit things out. 

Monsieur Le President

In 50 years the only thing that ever blocked me was fresh coconut 

pwaj04

I guess it depends upon the person. Poppyseed bagels used to be my favorite. Can't eat them anymore too painful.

Other no no 's are coconut and cherries. i have a colostomy

sweetmarie131968
Reply to eefyjig

Regarding Mushrooms Is A No No  They Don't Digest   Stop eating them they gave me Pains also I'm A Permanent ostomy  for 4 years  Any foods That do not Digest  Don't eat them Also Seeds of Any kind cabbage  celery Beans Sprouts   Hope this helps you !!!! Take care  

Marilyn Flowers

I don't do small seeds at all.  When I did, way back when (I've had my ostomy for 60 years) I had a lot of pain.  I don't have a problem with larger seeds, but I don't eat very many, chew well,  and I only eat a few per day.

Toto

I eat all kinds of seeds without a problem! Try small bites at first!