Is Reduced Colostomy Output a Sign of Partial Blockage?

Replies
Views
Rodr24
Apr 29, 2024 6:33 pm

First, I want to express my sincere gratitude to all for your responses to all of my posts over these last couple of weeks. This question is a follow-up to my other posts about stoma output and a possible blockage.

I'm still not having the outputs I'm used to seeing, but for the last 5 days, I'm getting at least a tiny bit of something each day. Yesterday was the most I've seen since this started... and still, I'd estimate it at less than 20% of what I'm used to seeing. Very firm, a lot of mucous.

Through this, I've been hydrating heavily, chewing my food to a pulp, and limiting the food I eat to things that aren't known to be a higher risk of causing a blockage. And there is no pain, no fever, no other symptoms.

But there are other factors in play here... I've reduced my food intake substantially for this last week, yet I'd still expect quite a bit more output than I'm seeing. As small as it is, with the daily output, it shows I don't have a complete blockage, but could this reduced output still be symptoms of a partial blockage? Or am I just over-worrying, and perhaps just need to go back to eating normal-sized meals and see what happens?

AlexT
Apr 29, 2024 7:57 pm

1) You said you traveled… I'm guessing you're eating different foods than normal, that'll mess up your “normal.”

2) You said you haven't eaten nearly the amount you normally would… that'll mess up what is your “normal.”

3) You are getting some output, you're not blocked. Maybe a partial, but as long as stuff is coming out, no pain, no fever… you'll be ok. 
4) Go on drinking lots of fluids and enjoying your days. You'll learn that unless you keep everything exactly the same, there is no real “normal.” 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,866 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22
May 01, 2024 2:34 am
Reply to AlexT

The truth!! 😁 Lol, always a roller coaster ride.. hang on and enjoy

Rodr24
May 02, 2024 11:06 pm
Reply to Beth22

Today, I find myself on a downhill run on my roller coaster. 😉

Yesterday, I was up to about half of a normal output, but today I appear to be making up for lost time. A whole lot is moving through, so any concerns over a blockage are now assuaged.

Many thanks to all; your support and sharing mean so much for those of us who are new to this life.

Beth22
May 03, 2024 9:06 am
Reply to Rodr24

Anytime I remember the beginning, there are a lot of unknowns and you're like, "What in the world is going on?" You will become a pro in no time, and this will all be second nature to you. 😁 Stay strong and remember you're an ostomy warrior.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy
May 03, 2024 12:29 pm

Welp... seems the only normal is "Abby" Abnormal.

One of the funnier moments in Mel Brooks' classic "Young Frankenstein."