Eating Foods with Casings After an Ileostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
rlevineia
May 26, 2024 2:55 pm

Like potato skins and not properly chewed veggies, it will plug your ostomy. Eric the Vegan Osteomate talks about this on his website. His experiences in the ER made me very wary of what I eat. Hy-Vee makes skinless brats in many flavors. I removed the casing from Genoa salami with a sharp knife. BBQ tonight, happy Memorial Day weekend.

kbd
May 26, 2024 8:12 pm

I have eaten hot dogs for years with an ileostomy and no issues.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

drums_weights_ileostomy
May 27, 2024 12:36 am

I've had my ileostomy since 1971, and I've never had a problem with any of that stuff. I don't eat hot dogs or sausage very often just because it's not healthy food to eat on a regular basis. But, when I do, I don't have any issues.

paulriggans
May 27, 2024 7:57 am

I agree with Axl in Australia. Eat and be sure to masticate your food for as long as your patience will allow before swallowing. I haven't barred myself from anything, and to date, I haven't had any (known) problems. However, I'm pretty sure others will call me stupid.

Paul Riggans

DebinRI
May 27, 2024 12:37 pm
Reply to paulriggans

Hi, Paul. I wouldn't call you stupid, but just lucky. I've had several minor blockages which I was able to contend with at home. But the big one was due to adhesions. That landed me in the hospital for a month. An NG tube, PICC line, and emergency surgery were no picnic. Eating the wrong foods or too much of them can lead to a severe food blockage. I do lean toward caution.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Lt. Dan
May 27, 2024 12:57 pm

Hi Nancy;

I just chew, chew, chew. Depending on the thickness of the skin. I haven't had any problems, but I just chew them well. I stay away from thick sausage personally.

stickfloatdave
May 27, 2024 8:45 pm

Eat whatever you want. If you have problems, try again. Then, if you're still having problems, don't eat again.

Do not let anyone tell you what to eat.

stickfloatdave
May 27, 2024 8:49 pm
Reply to Boalsman

I fish regularly in the UK. Believe me, I eat more corn than the bloody fish 🐟

GrammieRed
May 28, 2024 2:06 pm

I've had my ileo over 10 years and never had a problem with hotdogs or breakfast sausage. I usually peel brats, Italian sausage, etc. They have a thicker casing that could cause problems but, on the upside, that casing makes them easy to peel.

NancyCat
May 28, 2024 8:01 pm
Reply to kbd

I found "skinless" hot dogs - hooray!

Hisbiscus
May 29, 2024 12:59 am
Reply to NancyCat

Amazing! I love hotdogs, but they give me heartburn.

lee.greenston
Jun 09, 2024 6:56 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

From one scaredy-cat to another, I am the same as you, missing exactly the same things, including strawberries. I live in England, and strawberries are just wonderful this time of year. I'm only 6 months post-ileostomy operation and terrified of ending up in the hospital again. Maybe after a while, we will be able to relax into it more. Good luck.