Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,955 members
Next >

Meat trouble

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.
Hi this is my first time on here, just wondering if antone has troouble when they eat any meat. when i have a meal with meat my output is so liquid i have to empty my bag so often (7 times in the space of 3 hours) I take imodium to try and slow it down but this takes ages to work does anyone have any tips please i have an ileostomy 5 years

I don't have that issue with meat, but I do with eggs.  I would eat things that slow down output when you eat meat, like pasta or rice. Eat a bit of them first and see if that helps.

Paul
MeetAnOstoMate - 28,955 members

Hi,
hey this is my first time on a forum aswell. It's not everywhere you go that your opening gambit to someone can be about your intestinal output is it!?
I've had my ileostomy just over a year now and have kind of resigned myself to the fact that it seems to have a mind of it's own whatever I eat! Emptying 7 times in an hour does sound like a hell of a lot though; you must get pretty dehydrated. I also take imodium as and when but find that sometimes it works well other times not so well....sod's law one day it'll work too well and I'll set rock solid from end to end! I've read on other forums about people taking a supplement to "thicken it all up". Personally I don't fancy eating however many bags of marshmallows and unripe bananas, so if there's something simpler on prescription that could be useful.
If I find anything out I'll let you know.....or maybe someone who reads this might have an inkling of what I'm on about.
Thinking about it, I've learnt not to risk the odd late night chicken kebab 'cos after one of those it can really pour out......still not filling 7 times an hour though.
Maybe try different meats, or a different butcher!
x

ps sorry, 7 times in 3 hours.....still a bloody lot though!
x
Whoa
Nurse

Buffy
Don't know why you had an ileostomy or if your output is fairly liquid most of the time?  Not sure why your system doesn't like meat either.

If liquid all the time, the suggestions re: foods that bind might help or being on Immodium routinely as some folks need this to prevent fluid loss.  You might also try meat with less fat, or chewing better and smaller pieces.

I'm hoping someone else has more answers!

Okay, I mentioned that eggs make my output like water. Also what does that to me is Creatine. I use a Creatine serum before I go to the gym as it stores water in the muscle to help recovery and build muscle.

That being said, the Creatine also causes watery output so I got an idea one day to use it when I was a bit blocked up and it helped to get everything through! After a few times of this working, I mentioned it to my surgeon and he said that Creatine was mostly enzymes and that it made sense that enzymes gave me that reaction.

So, long story short, I am thinking that maybe it's enzymes that cause the watery output?

I don't often eat meat just don't like the taste, but when i eat salad this happens tome also, hate to take pills, my docror suggested metamucil or a like product, yes  i know it is used for constipation but it also will thicken up ileolostomy stool. you could give it a try
hope you get your problem solved
eddie

Thanx for the replies everyone, I take metamucil and immodium but most times this does not seem to work . I have the ileostomy due to radiation enteritis which I had for cervical cancer, I also Have Graves diease which is under control but still having trouble putting on weight and having the watery output is not helping, so any answer you might have will be good.

What kind of meat do you ususally eat, perhaps it's too spicy and that will definitely cause pure liquid outputs.  Have you been checked for intestinal adhesions? These will cause partial blockages at times, sounds like it could be a possibility. My insides have many which is causing future surgery to be probably impossible but if you have them you will unfortunately need to adjust your diet even more so. There are times between dinner and bedtime where I have 3 or 4 full bags of pure liquid so I know what you mean.
Ask your Doc to set you up with a c.t. or m.r.i. scan. Hopefully you have insurance coverage for them there in Australia.
Perhaps you are using one of the medium sized bags, I hate having to use them the odd when I do. They are less noticeable under slacks (since I'm short) which is nice but they do cause 80% more trips to empty them. See if there is a bigger bag you can use.

Thanx Cancerfree I do have other scarring. The surgeons here were talking about a reversal when I reached 60kg but I'm sill only 42kg and my stoma was 5 years ago so don't think it's going to happen. I have problems with just plain meats I try not to eat much spicy foods as these do tend to have a worse output. It just drives me crazy don't even go out for dinner as i'm constantly off to the loo and its embarrassing is there anything you could suggest that would help?

I had the same problem with a few things other than meat (still have from time to time) and what my sister advised (she's a Peds nurse) is taking a packet of unflavored gelatin, mixing it in 1/4 cup of fruit juice & drinking it.  Apparently, that's what they give toddlers/little kids with diarrhea.  Maybe if you tried this an hour or so prior to eating meat, it might help.  Can't hurt to give it a go!

Good luck.

Hoover

buffy wrote:
Thanx for the replies everyone, I take metamucil and immodium but most times this does not seem to work . I have the ileostomy due to radiation enteritis which I had for cervical cancer, I also Have Graves diease which is under control but still having trouble putting on weight and having the watery output is not helping, so any answer you might have will be good.

You may find it helpful to wear a drainable stoma bag due to the increased watery output from your stoma. If you believe the diarrhoea is simply due to changes in your diet or daily routine, here are some foods that may help you find relief:

Under-ripe bananas
Jelly babies
Marshmallows
Smooth peanut butter
White rice
Pretzels
Yoghurt (natural, or flavoured with honey)
Noodles and pasta
Buttermilk

Unfortunately due to the new laws of the use of codeine it is very hard to find a GP to prescribe it, i have used codeine for many years due to other painfull complications through my journey and it is in fact very helpfull for your issue and also a plus as my GP mentioned in how it regulates your stomachs motions 

I hope this is beneficial for you 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.