Black Output

In this discussion
Replies
Views
grandy

I have had diarrhea for over a week and been to a local GP who, after blood work, told me I was low in sodium and to eat salty foods. He really didn't address the problem of jet black loose, watery stool. I need to see a GI Dr. but in Canada there is a 6-month wait or more. Anyone else had this problem and how did it get resolved? Any help would be appreciated. The ET nurse said no to Imodium or any such. Thank you, Lorraine.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Hi Grandy. Why didn't you insist that your GP address the problem you presented? You have a right to some answers and it's okay to hold his or her toes close to the fire when necessary. Anyway, I went to my favorite source of information (www.ask.com) and typed in this question: "What does black watery stool mean?" I got a wealth of useful information as well as some understanding about how your situation would have been treated by competent professionals. Here's the URL: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diarrhea_ez/
I did not need to wait 6 months for an appointment to get this information. Let's hope it helps you.

BTW, regarding the spelling of diarrhea, as a retired English teacher I think we should stop using words that are too hard to spell. How about saying "the runs" instead? Also, there's a good old-fashioned Anglo-Saxon term but somehow it eludes me. Be well. PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ladydi53

I would get back to your GP ASAP. I was always under the understanding that black tarry stool is a sign of blood in the bowels. Insist on your GP addressing this problem. As I read your blog, I got an uneasy feeling that you need to have it addressed ASAP. Take care.

Pinky

Another possibility (if you take iron, or vitamins that contain iron) is that you could have a fecal impaction (since iron often causes constipation) and the diarrhea is running around it.
Regardless, I think you have a medically urgent condition and if your doctor won't help you with it you should seek treatment at the ER or the equivalent of urgent care in Canada.

Sometimes even here in the US things happen quicker if you go through the ER!

ginapspn
Reply to Pinky

Hi, I take iron tablets and get black stools

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister