Need help applying Sure Seal rings - struggling with removing backing

Replies
Views
tess45
Hello everyone

I received some samples in the mail of Sure Seal rings - has anybody used these and if so, how did you put them on? I am not quite sure how to get the paper off the back of the product - the pictures for applying look straightforward but it does not show how to get the backing off - there's nothing to pull on to peel it away from the seal. I take it that you pull the half clear tape off to expose the sticky part and then lay it over your flange and then you are supposed to pull the paper backing away - but I can't seem to manage that step - does it work like Tegaderm tape?

Thanks
Terry
josiesmom

Hi Tess45, I'm not sure if you are talking about the Eakin Seals which is what I use. If they are the same, you can apply them directly to your skin around your stoma or apply them to your flange (wafer) around the opening. I have used them now for just a little over a year and I love them. Hope this helps. Josiesmom

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,367 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Big H
Hi Terry,
I've been using Sure Seals for quite a while, and they've become a lifesaver in many ways.
To begin with, let me answer your initial question: how to get the paper off the back of the product. Once you have peeled off the cellophane backing and placed it over the opening of the flange, use your fingers to rub the paper over and over, creating a warming process that will adhere the sticky part and release the paper enough that it will separate itself. You'll then be able to easily remove the paper and smooth the transparent sticky part to the skin. It may take a little practice, but it works and works so well that you'll be able to keep your appliance on for a much longer time. I've gone from keeping my appliance on for 3 to 4 days to 5 and 6 and longer.
Also, the Sure Seals keep a leak contained nicely. You will have plenty of time to see it happening and plenty of time to change when it does.
When removing the appliance, start by using your fingernail to peel the Sure Seal at the edge, and it will come off in one piece.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
H
carlos77

I have been absolutely delighted with this product which I have been using for about two months. I too find that it extends wafer life, from 4 to 5 day average up to 7 or even 8. It is tricky to apply, peeling the transparent pieces and then the white paper; but it's hard to do wrong because the actual sticky part adheres to the skin so readily. Adherence actually improves over 24 hours! And it does contain leaks. Sometimes a little hard to peel off but, at worst, can peel from wafer edge out; at best, from edge of SureSeal.
Note not covered by Medicare; costs about $2 apiece from my supplier.

carlos77

Sorry, I should have added credit and thanks to Big H who drew my attention to SureSeal as providing extra waterproofing assurance for swimming, hot tub, etc.
These are not Eakin rings or Hollister "Barrier Rings" which fit under the wafer, and which I also use and which do provide some extra leak protection.
It's all a bit of "belt and suspenders" compulsive redundancy but I hate the idea of a major leak in public.
Comfort and confidence are essential to ostomates!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Just a quick reply. I have had my ileostomy for over 30 years...and have just about experienced everything I can. Yes....many many leaks UNTIL I found an absolutely amazing product called "SKIN-PREP Protective Wipes" by Smith & Nephew (420400)...and they solved my leak problem. Since using them.....NO leaks! Also....they are very easy to use.
Van
I first tried Sure Seal rings for better protection while swimming. But I found, as others have, that it allows the appliance to be worn comfortably for a longer time. There is something about constant pressure all around the faceplate that holds the faceplate more tightly to the skin and blocks leaking from the area around the stoma. But I had the same problems in putting it on that others have described. It's easy enough to apply the Seal to the faceplate on the skin. But peeling off the paper is difficult because I was unable to easily separate the paper from the very thin adhesive layer that remains stuck to the skin. I tried rubbing, as suggested here (and also by the manufacturer) but that never worked well for me. I settled on a solution that works every time. I rub the paper as suggested but then begin the separation with my fingernail at the inner edge of the circle close to the stoma. (There seems to be a better separation between the paper and the adhesive layer there than at the outer edge of the seal. Once I peel off a strip of paper I slowly peel off the rest of the paper with fingers of one hand while I press down the adhesive layer with 2 fingers of the other hand just as I am peeling off the paper. Another issue is that I have very sensitive skin and have never been able to use any tape material without an allergic reaction resulting. So far, these Sure Seal rings have not caused any sensitization. Using this together with Nu-Hope Carbozinc as a caulking around the stoma has much improved my life.
tess45

Thanks to one and all - I did manage to get the paper off as I was sticking it down - had a bit of a fight to get it around the flange stoma opening - guess the connecting ring on the flange is a little bit wider than the inside of the Sure Seal ring - I have it on since Saturday but I noticed today that one edge is lifting up - the edge by the open wound bed - I had hoped that it would have solved that for me, oh well. Other than that I love the product same as the others - it feels more secure which is a great feeling.

Ebony&Ivory

I just received a box of 10 samples (very generous) and was wondering the same thing.

Thanks for the help!

E & I

Ebony&Ivory

Josiesmom

I just ordered some of these seals. They're not Eakin seals. The company that makes them doesn't manufacture ostomy supplies from what I can see on the website.

Idk how they got involved with making these seals but I'm going to try them.

www.alpglobal.com, 877-257-4562

E & I

Ebony&Ivory
Reply to carlos77

I just ordered a box and I haven't gotten a bill yet! I have Medicare!