Dark red color change in stoma - should I be worried?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ali_frett

Hi there, I had my surgery 5 months ago and recently have noticed a change in the color of my stoma. Best way to describe it initially it was the color of your tongue, pretty pinky but in the last couple of weeks it has become a really dark red, (kinda like if you bite your tongue or like a canker sore). I have made sure that the base plate is not too tight or rubbing, it isn't sore and it's working as it should. Anyone have any idea what this could be or I should be worried? Thanks in advance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

magpie

Hi there, I'm pretty sure that you have nothing to worry about. The redder the better is what I've always heard. It's a sign of good circulation and no blockages, etc. But of course, if you're worried, you can always call your doctor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Xerxes

Magpie,

I agree with you. Good coloration, good blood flow; no ischemia.

X_

DH

Hi, I was told that if the stoma turns pale or white, then there is something wrong. So as long as your stoma is a ripe red or pink, it is a healthy one.

twobears

I have had an ileostomy for 12 years and I was also told to watch the color. If it changed, I should go immediately to the doctor who did the surgery. He will be able to tell if something is wrong. Please don't wait and worry.
Twobears

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
mate777
Hi:
My stoma darkened, turned black. Nothing to worry about. The Stoma Nurse said, "Just think of it as a scab," and she trimmed it off with a pair of scissors. Didn't hurt.
So now I have a nice pink Innie (as opposed to a black Outie) and wear a convex appliance.
I have to apply it lying down, or it won't stay on.

I set up my needs on the bed, shower, and proceed.
This includes a bed tray with extended legs (paper towel cores) to fit over me, and a mirror attached to the underside. My oil, stoma powder, and no-sting spray, etc., occupy 3 toilet tissue cores taped together in a plastic tray from the dollar store. I use a fan to blow off excess powder and dry the spray (also from the Dollar Store).

All but the tray live comfortably in a cheap plastic chest of drawers in my bedroom.

My appliance lasts 5 to 7 days.... more or less ... : ) ...

Anyway, it is necessary to see your Stoma nurse right away since any change in the stoma needs her attention.
Counting My Blessings

Check, mate77. See your WOCN or physician if you don't have a WOCN or ostomy clinic. I don't have that luxury here. My stoma turned deep purple, then black by the time a wound care nurse saw it. My surgeon had to remove it in his office about a week after I went home from the hospital.

So just from the stories so far, we have a range of opinions about what color might constitute a problem.

I also think it sounds like you are getting better circulation. I haven't noticed any changes in color for my new stoma. But that doesn't mean anything for you.

At least write down the question and ask about color changes the next time you see medical personnel. Please make an appointment if it turns to midnight.

dulcimerman

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much about the change in color. Stomas do tend to change color now and then. Mostly, they are quite deep red in color, and so long as it's working and your pouch is filling up, then all is okay.
If you do feel worried, then phone your stoma nurse, and she will be more than helpful.