Returning to Sports with a Temporary Colostomy - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Orange72
I only have 5 months with a temporary colostomy. I was supposed to get a reversal, but due to a very bad endometriosis, it was decided that I will be waiting until next year to have the reversal surgery. I am on Lucrin, as my insides are all stuck together. The Lucrin treatment makes me very tired and stiff with joint and bone pain as a side effect.
When I learned I have to wait until next year to try to get the reversal, I decided to go back to sports, which I was active before surgery and I would like your input. According to my doctor, I don't need any special support, but I have read a lot about hernias.
I used to run 5K and 10K races as well as swimming 1.5K every morning (some spinning and cycling also). I have started to walk 4K every other day and that feels good. I lost all my leg and ankle strength, so I have some exercises to build that up again.
I have not been brave enough to get in the pool again, although I bought a new swimming suit to cover my bag 3 months ago =( So if you have any advice, please let me know!
I have read that I am able to do anything I want, but I am still to believe it. Now is better, as before, every time I started walking for a longer time, I would have an "accident".
I am trying to be at peace with my bag, but still not there.
Just being part of this group has given me a lot of support and advice. All my family and I have been learning about ostomies in this support group, so thanks again!!
dsmithsc91
Believe it! You can do anything you want, especially the activities you mentioned above. For me, getting back to racing triathlons was a big part of how I got to peace with having an ostomy. Like you, I was nervous about getting back into sport, and I learned a few things that may be helpful for you.

- Always wait at least an hour (preferably two) after putting on a new pouch before exercising.

- I found that using a convex pouch with one of the elastic belts was helpful in keeping the appliance from floating off during running and cycling in hot/humid weather (I don't use the belt for swimming).

- The first swim back will likely be uncomfortable. Trust me though, the more you do it, the easier it will get. Swimming, and working out in general, takes a bit more planning with an ostomy, but really everything you need to do to successfully workout with an ostomy are things you should be doing anyway. You will learn how long before or after meals you need to wait before exercising. For me, it is 3 hours, but for you, it may be different. Anyway, back to swimming. I would just encourage you to give the new swimsuit a try. Do like I did and just swim 100 meters your first time back and build from there.

- The biggest issue I have found with exercising with an ostomy is gas. I have become very good at discreetly burping my bag on the move. If it's a situation where I know I can change my bag after a bike ride or run, I will poke a hole in the top of my pouch with a safety pin. I always have one pinned to my jerseys and they have come in handy from time to time.

- I have found that Imodium does an excellent job of shutting down my system for a number of hours. On race days, I will take one about two hours before the start to help ensure I won't have any issues. So far, so good...

- At the risk of sounding like your parents... When getting back to your swimming, running, and other sports, definitely take it easy. Listen to your body while building back your strength. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Here is a short video from my last race:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,442 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Orange72

I really enjoyed your video and you are a true inspiration. I will try to follow your advice and let you know how it goes! Thanks for all your advice, it is really helpful. Swimming the first time 100 meters is a great advice as I know myself and I would like to stay longer! (and then regret it).
As I start doing more things, I am sure I will have more questions. I just went back to the gym last week and it is a great sensation.
I use a belt all the time with the bag, and have also tried the convex pouch but I don't use it regularly, but I will give it a try.
Thanks for the advice, and believe my body is telling me to take it easy. =)
I really appreciate your kind note.

dsmithsc91

No problem. Feel free to ask questions at any time. Good luck, Orange!

Bodyrocker22

Orange....believe it and you can achieve it!!! As Mr. Smith says....take it easy and build up to your desired goals gradually. Definitely listen to your body but don't be afraid to push yourself to the next level when it's appropriate. I was in the Army for 22 years (16 of which I had an ileostomy) and I know that most people have no idea what they are capable of when dealing with an ostomy. There isn't anything you can't do.

However, give it time and be sensible about your training objectives. Good luck.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Orange72

Thanks Bodyrocker22! I have been walking 4k every other day and I feel great that day and the next day I am really tired! But I will keep on and I can see it will be better. You all are a model of survival and will. I have never felt like a strong or brave person and now more than ever I feel I am not brave.

Bodyrocker22

Orange, staying active is always a challenge. I struggle with it all the time but I always feel better once I have achieved my activity goal for the day. I know you can do it too!! None of us feel strong or brave until we are called upon to act. Life has a way of bringing these qualities out in people at the times it is required. You are more brave than you think you are. It took courage to ask for help on this site. It takes courage to want to live a better life and to be able to resume your usual activities after the trauma of your surgery and its unexpected results. One day at a time. Believe in yourself. Vaya con Dios.