Going to Mexico

In this discussion
Replies
Views
j-pouchman

Leaving for Mexico on Tuesday, Jan 1st. I have traveled recently in the US: went through a scanner, had to step aside and do the finger swab, etc. (they saw the pouch). All went well. That was here. How is traveling outside the US? My Spanish is not great, it's going to be hard to communicate as it is. Do they have scanners there too? We are going to be in Puerto Vallarta. Has anyone else traveled there?
Thanks, Jeff

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CanadaNana
Well, I might be able to tell you in another week, Jeff. I'm in Puerto Vallarta right now - flew in from Canada on December 27th. I went through the scanner and had the finger swab at the airport when leaving Calgary to travel here.

Of course there is no issue when you arrive at the airport in Puerto Vallarta. I'm leaving on January 6th - I don't expect any difficulty flying home, but won't know for sure until then.

I have flown all over Eastern Europe as well as France and never had any problems in any of the countries there.

I'll bet the word "ostomy" is enough to make you understood at security at the Puerto Vallarta airport even if they do spot the ostomy pouch in a scanner here.

Susan
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
canadian

I have never had a problem in Mexico or South America. My stoma has prolapsed, so it is quite large. I just point to it and say "medico" (medical).

HarleySue

Why don't you guys have a TSA card? Plus, it says on the back about any comp. not keeping you from using the facility's. When I wear a belt, I set off alarms, so I need to carry a card. You can call Convatec, they gladly send you one. Please tell me what a finger swab is, do they touch you? I've had my colostomy since 2012. I'm also a nurse, never heard that before. Thanks, happy travels!