Please explain what a flap is, I'm desperate

Replies
Views
monty

I had a rectal removal in April and now stinking green sometimes yellow fluid leaking out. I'm asking you because they don't tell you everything. They didn't tell me I would lose bladder control or suffer burning nerve damage and numbness in my legs. They did not let me know that I have to start chemo again. Today my surgeon tells me to take antibiotics and we must meet with a plastic surgeon to give me a flap. I was expecting to go back to work and I was in a state of shock and too numb to even ask what a flap is and why we need a plastic surgeon. I was on the operating table for 9 hours in April and can't go through that again. I pray that I don't lose my insurance which I think I might. I'm so confused and really feel screwed. Please any thoughts, ideas, and info would be greatly appreciated. Anybody on COBRA and how does it work.

patri
It took me almost two years to settle down to the point I am now, Monty. For a while, I was in shock and dismay at the side effects of the medical process saving me from cancer in my bum. Now, I'd say I'm in adapt and thrive and nourish any smiles that come from me genuinely.

The burning and numbness is probably from one of the chemos and will abate in about six months. The bladder control comes back if you practice kegel exercises (squeeze your pee-pee muscles counting to three and release, repeat, reps of fifty periodically throughout the day).

(NOT FOR THE GENTLEMEN TO COMMENT ON, LOL)
Make sure you maintain your sexual relationship or get a gadget to pretend with because radiation aimed at rectal cancer is how my lady parts got fried and closed up almost completely. My radiation technician laughed and said the lady that warned me that could happen was making it up to scare me, but it did happen and it took about a year AFTER the chemo to occur without me noticing. Do a self-examination to make sure all is open and smooth down there and, for lack of a better term...use it or lose it after radiation. "Using it" will keep it open and smooth and prevent the necrosis that otherwise may occur. If some closure has happened, I am told that with "usage," partial closure can be improved.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

monty

Thank you for the response, had a rectal removal in April and my life has been a nightmare ever since. Apparently, I've developed a fistula infection and have a yellow liquid coming out of my butt that stinks to high heaven. I guess they have to go in there and clean, sew it closed, and then cover it with a membrane flap. God, I can't stand this any longer and feel like checking out sometimes. If it weren't for family support, who knows. They have me on a strong antibiotic for 15 days to see if it will clear up. Going through chemo and radiation fried me down there and you are right, if you don't use it, you lose it. I guess I have to look at the bright side, no more sleeping on the wet spot. Since fighting cancer, I've been off of work for a year now and it looks like I'm going to lose my medical insurance before I have the surgery, which pisses me off. Hope I don't have to sell my house to stay alive. Once again, thank you sister and fellow traveler.