Tattoo Ideas for Ostomy Scar

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses creative tattoo ideas to cover or incorporate an ostomy scar, providing inspiration and support for individuals considering this option.
Sophie96
Hi all, tried to post this in the forum but for some reason I just could not get it to work!

I'm quite keen to get a tattoo incorporating my scar. The problem I have is that it's right near the edge of the bag, only about a couple of centimeters of space. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I could have done? And if you've got pics from when you have one, then I would love to see them! Thanks

Sophie x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,094 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Hello Sophie..... A scar the likes of which you might be referring would make a very cool tattoo of a mighty sword..... Or the body of a butterfly or the body of a dragonfly...... Many cool ideas, but I think these are the things that I personally would consider. If you get inked, I hope you post a pic! I have four tattoos and soon hopefully to get started on the 5th. I am my own totem pole, lol, each symbolizing something significant in my life and experiences...... Now you have me thinking about getting my scar done as well. xoxo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sophie96

The problem is that it is too close to the edge of my stoma bag, there's only about a centimeter of space so it will be hard to get it central on the scar. Also, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have one there anyway because then I wouldn't want to show everyone because they'd see the bag too! x

Gwen in LA

I'm going to try colored henna over my vertical scar, which is close to the stoma. Some curlicues, leaves, stylized flowers. Was also thinking of a butterfly or dragonfly in silhouette, as if it is clinging to the vine, with the larger part of the wing pointing away from the stoma. Heck, I'd be happy with a Praying Mantis or a Katydid.

This idea came to me while I was driving home today--a long commute. If I *don't* like it, it will fade. The things one considers on a commute!

Bumba

I put a fake tattoo of a zipper on my midline scar for a post-op Dr. appointment. He liked it!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
newmel13

I have thought about getting one around my scar too, but didn't know if they could tattoo on a scar. For some reason, I thought that they couldn't ink on a scar.

Past Member

I have a tattoo next to my stoma that I had done before my surgery. It is mostly hidden underneath my appliance now. I wouldn't suggest getting one there, I've had problems with abscesses nearby and the tattoo was really hard to work around. I want to get a cover-up done now, but I can't imagine how it would ever heal because it's always covered by an appliance. I too have scars in the area, my abscess turned into a 6cm hole below my stoma and perpendicular to my tattoo, and I've been told it's not a good idea to tattoo over scar tissue.

Gypsy

Wow, sorry you have had these problems. But I have never heard there is a problem tattooing over scars. There is a big beautiful book out here in America that is all about women who had mastectomies choosing getting tattoos rather than having breast reconstruction surgery. There are lovely, intricate tattoos covering the entire area where the breast was before, which was pretty much solid scar tissue. Good luck, have fun.

Gwen in LA

I have some *interesting* scars from chest and abdominal surgeries.

Thought about tattoos but don't want the commitment of a permanent design.

I have used henna (dark and colored) over the scars, it lasts several weeks on my fair skin and slowly fades.

Since I use airbrush facial makeup, I've just ordered some stencils and wild 'eye shadow" colors. Probably will post photos later lol. The chest scar is along my sternum and under the right rib cage, with floppy skin. Want to incorporate that into the design. Thinking big melon there, vines and flowers surrounding.

Gwen, the illustrated woman

Primeboy

Actually, Sophie, I was considering having a large tattoo all around my stoma incorporating the unique landscape characteristics of the Mount Vesuvius region in Italy. I am not sure why you would prefer to highlight just your scar instead of your stoma, but I understand that would be without any question Sophie's Choice. PB