Open colostomy reversal and new temporary ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
CelticTee

Long story short: On April 20, 2013, my colon perforated due to diverticulitis. I arrived by ambulance to the hospital already in full-blown septic shock. I was in the operating room for 5 hours and then transferred to ICU on life support. My family was told that if I was alive in 72 hours, I might have a chance, but they should hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Five days later, I awoke in ICU and was taken off of life support. I spent the next two months between the hospital and a nursing home. Please note, I am a 53-year-old female with two college-age sons. The midline incision went from my breast line to the top of my pelvis, and due to the overwhelming infection, the wound was left open with retention sutures (thick wires running in and out). Added to that was a Hartmann colostomy. Fast forward 6 months: Surprising everyone, I returned full-time to work in September and am now gearing up for my reversal. Just found out though that since there was so much intestinal damage, in order to do the reversal, I will also need to have a temporary ileostomy to allow the colostomy takedown to heal. Six months after this, I will be able to have the ileostomy reversed. Has anyone else had to do this? Both additional surgeries are open (not laparoscopic), and closure will be by staples. If so, how long was your recovery time from the colostomy takedown and new ileostomy? I feel so great that I am now getting worried that I will be laid up for a long time. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

October1959
I also had a perforated colon from diverticulitis in January 2013. I had a colostomy. My reversal was on May 31, 2013. I also had a lot of damage, so I had to have an ileostomy. Only stayed in the hospital for 5 days; only 1 day in ICU. My doctor used stitches, not staples, on the outside. Recovery was not so bad. I was outside taking a walk in about two weeks. You have to be real careful with what you eat with the ileostomy. You need to drink lots of water so you don't dehydrate. Went to Disney World on August 9, felt great. Make sure you talk to an ostomy nurse to get the right supplies for ileostomy. Came home with the same types I used for colostomy, and it was a disaster. Had my ileostomy reversed on August 14, 2013. It was a breeze, only 3 days in the hospital and back to work in 4 weeks. I feel fabulous and am so happy to have this behind me. Hope all goes well.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Wilski

Have the same issues and need an ileostomy reversal.
How old are you? Youth does help the healing process. Thanks.

October1959

I was 53 when I had my reversal. So far, everything is good. Hope things are going well for you.

fable3
Yes! I had a two-phase reversal about 2 years ago. My recovery from the colostomy takedown to ileostomy closure was extended 4 months due to an infection in the peristomal incision. I had the colostomy takedown in October, gastrogtafin enema found no leaks in November, but I developed soreness around the stoma/incision in December. 2 weeks before the ileoclosure was scheduled. Couldn't go into surgery with green pus draining from the sides of my stoma. Every time I removed my wafer, it would drain this foul-smelling green discharge from two small holes. A course of very strong antibiotics, three cultures, and two months went by before I was cleared to go back into surgery in February.
My ileoclosure was not successful the first time. I was lucky enough to be in the 2% population of those who develop full stenosis of the anastomosis site. Scar tissue blocked the reconnection site. Vomited bile for two days before going back in for emergency surgery to clear adhesions and reconnect small intestine AGAIN. Five days later, I had my first fart and BM!!! Learning how to poop was painful for the first few months. But I'm very normal now. Lots of battle scars in my tummy.

I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!! I didn't hate the bag. I was grateful for it because it saved my life. But I would still do it all over again.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister