Mucus and Urostomy: Seeking Advice on Excessive or Normal Amounts

Replies
Views
Cornet

Have just reached 85, and had urostomy for 3 years. After the first year, I concluded that mucus was the source of most of my problems. Whereas the bag adhesives are all impervious to urine, mucus just goes straight through, and even parted the bag from the base plate on a couple of occasions. I now use a two-piece bag, and can therefore easily unclip the bag and wipe off mucus morning and night and sometimes more often. The result is a vast improvement in the skin close up to the stoma. What I do not understand is whether I have excessive mucus or normal. Would like to hear from anyone that may have had a similar experience. Still playing golf and orchestral music, so the stoma is no real drawback even for octogenarians.

Bill
Hello Cornet,  That's the power of mucus!  --I feel sure it could be useful for something, but what?

I have a colostomy and irrigate once a day so I get to gange twice a day and the effect of the mucus on the wafer doesn't cause me a problem. However, I have often thought that if I had to pay for my own supplies, I would certainly need to find some solution to the problem of the wafer coming off by they end of the day. Most of the time, when it comes into contact with the air,  my mucus goes harder and is therefore no longer a liquid. This actually helps because it forms its own barrier around the edges of the stoma and the wafer, so the effects on the wafer only penetrate about a half inch in. Interestingly it has slightly different effects on the plug wafers to the irridrain ones. On the plugs it disintegrates the adhesive - which becomes like very sticky chewing-gumwhen the wafer is pulled off, sticking to both and stretching out like some sort of weird funnel-spiders web. Whereas on the irridrain wafer, it simply stops it from sticking and the adhesive is left sticking to the skin only. It's a pity that it doesn't just stick to the wafer because then I wouldn't have to try to get it of my skin!  Given previous posts, I don't think the excess mucus is unusual and there are far worse problems that people have to put up with and manage. So I have never bothered to enquire of the medics about it.  Not that they would know anyway.

Best wishes and a happy new year. Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
coquito

Hi Cornet: I am 60 and have had a urostomy for 1 1/2 years. I was explained by my Dr. that mucus is normal. Great lady who has worked at Puerto Rico Oncology Hospital for over 30 years (her name is Elsa) and is the one that checks patients and shows how to deal with ostomies told me that excess of mucus means you must drink more water.

Thanks to God and to Elsa I have not had a leaking accident for over a year. When at first I had the urostomy, I had constant leaks and was frustrated until I met Elsa. She dealt with the correct size of the bag, the waffle, and the barrier ring. In addition, she explained that I should attach the bag to the waffle and the barrier ring to the other side of the waffle prior to putting the waffle on my stoma. In addition, to avoid irritation, I use stoma powder around the stoma. But first of all, I use a solvent for any glue left around my stoma and also prep skin. On top of the tape of the waffle, I use extra tape - 4 strips, one on each side....tan tan...and that is the story. As you lose or gain weight, you might need to change the size of supplies. I change the bag every 4/5 days. Talk to whomever is assigned at the American Cancer Society. They might be helpful...Just in case, I only use Hollister...it has worked for me...quite expensive but great. Here is the order in which I use the supplies:

1- Attach the bag to the waffle and to the barrier ring. Cut the 4 pieces of tape (counting 14 squares on each for the length. I use Hypafix tape) put apart.

2- Clean the area of the stoma with 'uni-solve' (I use Smith and Nephew)

3- Take a bath

4- Spray "prep skin" (I use Smith and Nephew) all around the stoma.

5- When dry, put stoma powder "Adapt" around the stoma

6- Put on the bag that you prepared over the stoma. On top of the waffle tape, put the extra 4 strips of tape.

Hope it works, you will see that mucus will no longer bother you...

Note: I take a bath with a laundry bag around my hips every day to cover the stoma bag and avoid getting it wet.

I do go to the beach and of course I do not use the laundry bag, but change the tapes and if necessary the bag...

Cornet

Thanks Coquito, I'm from the UK, but we do have helpful stoma nurses. I've tried various ideas to reduce the amount of mucus including drinking a lot of water, and changing from cow milk to rice and other vegetable milk with little success. My real problem is understanding whether my mucus level is normal.

Missymo

Mucus is normal and it will never go away, x

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Missymo

I have a lot of mucus. Very normal. xx