Reversal complications: Urgency to use bathroom after colostomy reversal?

Replies
Views
jenkins124

I had a colostomy 3 years ago. I went in for a reversal the following year but things went wrong. The Dr. said it was like a bag of pus that exploded in me also they nicked a small vein and I lost much blood. At the same time, I had part of my rectum removed. (I knew this was going to take place) I would still like to go for the reversal but my Dr. said I would have the urge to go to the bathroom and I better get there fast.

I know people who have had the reversal and they say they haven't experienced this. I was wondering if it is because I only have a stump for a rectum?

Thank you, Joyce

jodelin
He is right. Without all of your rectum, you will feel like you have to go to the bathroom a lot and you will have to get there quick.
I had a reversal in May of 2013. I am missing at least half of my rectum and I still have accidents (I traded an ostomy bag for a depends) and it is very embarrassing. I always feel like I need to go to the bathroom unless I don't eat for hours and hours. That is doable when necessary but not on a daily basis.
It has been almost a year and there has been some improvement, not a lot. Apparently, the sphincter muscle is the dumbest muscle in the entire body. Mine still hasn't regained all of the control it used to have. But I was treated with radiation for my cancer. It may never get better than it currently is.
I may opt to go back to my ostomy bag - I had more freedom then than I do now. I have a couple more things I am trying first, and if there is no improvement, I will opt to have my bag back. My surgeon said she wouldn't give me my bag back for a year, so I had to learn to try to make things work in some way.
I hope things work out as you wish. But do not take lightly the huge job the rectum has to do. And, if it is not there to act as your holding tank, you will be in need of bathrooms at all times and at a moment's notice.
Good luck.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,434 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

jenkins124

Hi Jodelin

Thank you for your information. As I am not having any problems, I think I will leave well enough alone. At least we can still travel.

Thanks again, Joyce

Past Member
Hi there,
I had a colostomy in September 2013.
Because I had peritonitis of the large intestine, and it was a life-threatening operation, I didn't know about it until I woke up 3 days later with a bag.
It was obviously a big shock for me, but now I have adapted well.
My doctor offered to do the reversal, but after he said it is risky considering my age and health, and that I would be running to the toilet more often, I decided against having it.
I hope I have made the right decision.
What would you suggest?
Regards,
Clarissa
Midget
jenkins124
Hi Midgey:

I say if you are feeling well and are coping with everything, do not risk your life. I don't know how old you are, but my doctor said he would do it until I was 75. I have decided to live with it as I don't like the idea of having to wear depends. My doctor said I would have to go to the bathroom often. I better get there fast. We go to Florida every winter, so that would not happen for quite some time.

Best of luck.
Joyce

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Hi Joyce
I have decided probably not to have the reversal, listening and reading a lot of comments
from people like you.
I don't know how old you are, I will be 70 years old in October,
and one big operation was enough. I also don't want to depend on diapers or pads,
I am used to the bag.
Yes, it has its ups and downs like today
Don't know what happened maybe I didn't seal it properly so I had poo all on the sides so I
had to change.
But otherwise I am coping.
Which I hope you are.
I don't know what part of the world you live in, but I am in the Czech Republic.
Please let us keep in touch
Bye for now.
Midgey