Looking for Advice on Ostomy Pouches - Odor and Durability Issues

Replies
Views
Ngaire
Hello all, from New Zealand.
I'm probably a long way from most of you. But I love this website and you have all helped me so much with your great hints and ideas. Though the problems are the same here as the rest of the world, it seems.
I was wondering if anyone uses the pouch I do. "Eakin Pelican Convex Drainable". It's a one-piece. I have had a permanent colostomy for 5 years. And I thought I had the ideal pouch, but now I am not so sure! Lately, I seem to notice an odor coming from it, and I am wondering if it is from the filter? Also, it is not lasting as long as it used to. After 2 days, I have to replace it which makes it difficult as I am using too many (so the powers that be tell me) as we get so many a month supplied here.
I am open to all ideas and suggestions. Maybe there is a much better pouch I can try or products. The stoma nurses I have are okay but have never been in this situation, and I have learned much more from this website.
Thank you one and all.
mild_mannered_super_hero
Hello, has anything else changed? No hernia or weight gain? If you haven't had any big changes in anything, I would suspect the pouch/flange. Try a different brand. Here in the USA, I would suggest a quick call to the ostomy suppliers or the makers of the products themselves for a few free samples. I'm not sure how that works in other countries. I assume that you haven't changed your basic routine on how you change/prep the area and aren't using a soap that contains oils? Keep us posted and let the members here know the solution. You might just help someone else having the same problem. Good luck.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope
Hi Ngaire,

I had a similar problem with my pouch last summer. I was away on holiday and eating lots of seafood and fish. I was using a pouch deodorant because I noticed that certain foods with me are really stinky. One morning, I woke up and I thought I could smell the pouch slightly. I could not bend in that direction very well to get a real good smell, so I let it go for an hour or and came to realize that the filter was leaking...hence the odor. I quickly changed the pouch. I wear a two-piece, so I did not need to change the whole thing fortunately. Now, as part of my daily routine, I change just the pouch usually every day or every other to keep it as fresh as possible. Also, I always use a deodorant in the pouch to lessen the smell. Speaking of deodorants....some work pretty well, some great, and others not at all for me. One actually made matters worse, and I threw out the bottle. I wanted my money back but did not see a guarantee on the bottle or the packing slip. As for the wear time of the wafer, I usually get 3 days and once in a while 4, but no more. When I change at 4 days, I notice much more erosion of the wafer. Also, if the sides of my wafer start to peel up, and they do sometimes, I will tape it down with waterproof tape until I can change the wafer completely - usually within the day.
Ngaire

Thank you for your advice. Can I ask what pouch deodorant you use? I might be able to get it here. As I have also found that some do seem to make the problem worse. And they are not cheap to buy, and our health system does not supply these. Thanks.

Penguins7
Hi Ngaire, I had similar problems with smell and figured it had to be coming from the filter. I just ordered the new Coloplast Sensura Mio one piece and wore it for the first time today. It is awesome. The pouch material is very gentle on the skin. It has a much improved filter that seems to be working well. The adhesive is supposed to be more skin friendly as that is the one thing I noticed about Coloplast was it made my skin itchy and the new one is fine. I prefer a two-piece so this is the first one piece I have ever tried. Maybe give this one a try. It has many improvements. Best of luck. Penguins7

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ngaire

Thanks Penguins7. Will do.

colachick

Hi Ngaire. I am in NZ and contemplating an ostomy. I couldn't contact you directly, but would appreciate any info you can give me.

grahamditton
Hi, I'm in the UK and get my supplies from Pelican but use Hollister convex drainable pouches. I'd been happy with these for the 3.5 years since my ileostomy, preferring the rock n roll fastening arrangement on the nozzle. However, having regularly got 3 days out of each bag, end of last year I began to get premature staining and odor from the filter, which they had recently "improved". I reported this to Hollister and they have put it in the hands of their QA department.

I put in my order for supplies this morning and mentioned this to the Pelican rep who offered me samples of their version, which I accepted; then I happened to spot your post. Bit of a coincidence that we should both experience the same problem with bags from different manufacturers around the same time. Wonder if they all obtain their filters from the same source.

I did make a post on the subject several weeks back, describing the noticeable differences in filters which lasted up to 3 days, 2 days and sometimes less. I do think it is defects in the filters that is the problem as firmness in output or types of food eaten make no difference for me; if the filter is complete, no problem; if the top edge is black, change after approx 36 hours; if top edge slightly black, maybe 48 hours. Do the filters on your bags all appear complete, or can you see small differences?

Hope you find a solution, thankfully we are not rationed in the UK. Regards, John
Ngaire

Hello colachick.

It's nice to hear from someone else in NZ. I have a permanent colostomy which I have had for about 5 years.

Ah! What advice can I give you? Like everyone else in my situation, I could probably write a book on the subject! And when I had mine, I knew nothing and I mean nothing!

Some of the very best advice I have received is from this great website. I started by reading "Tips from Ostomates".

And then you realize everyone else's problems are the same as yours or much worse.

Here in NZ, I like to think most of our surgeons are pretty good, so that is a good start.

As far as pouches and products go, we are not as lucky as Australia and UK as we are fairly restricted as to how many we are allowed per month. Though I believe some areas are better and more helpful than others.

You will probably be given pouches to try in hospital. The ones I were given were a "disaster". These were the ones the hospital was told to "push". And I was not told there were others. But when I got home thanks to the Ostomate magazine, I realized I could get free samples for all the other brands from the various companies. And through a lot of trial and error, I found much more suitable brands.

There are also other products like seals, deodorants, etc. which you may want and your hospital board may or may not fund.

You will find out as time goes on what your problems are. Don't give up. Keep pushing for your rights, and you will find that life is not so bad with an ostomy. I don't know what you are actually going to have, but all the best and good luck. The best advice I got is from this website and similar ones, so keep reading and keep in touch.

Ngaire

Graham Ditton. Hello there.

Yes, problems seem to be similar no matter where you live. I have used the Pelican pouch for years and thought I had found the ideal pouch except for ballooning.

But lately like you, I am having problems. I'm not sure why I am getting this odor, but thinking about it, it could well be the filter.

And I do wonder if they all get the filters from the same source. The thing I notice about the Pelican filter is it seems rather small compared to some of the other brands. I had a look at the filters and they all seemed the same.

I am wondering if I should try the Coloplast Sensura Mio, as it seems to be getting good reviews. That's if we can get it here.

Yes, you are lucky you are not rationed. If we run out, they are rather expensive to buy here.

I would be very interested to know what you think of the Pelican, as I do not know of anyone else who uses it.

All the best. Ngaire.

grahamditton

Hi Ngaire, since my previous message, I have used the samples I had from Pelican and am very impressed. I was already using their Eakin slim seals, which I have found to be a great success, and am now going to change over to their convex pouches, which I found much more comfortable and long-lasting than the Hollister pouches I currently use. The 3 samples I had lasted me 11 days in total with no odor or leakage; my stoma was the cleanest it has ever been and I reckon I would comfortably get 4 days between changes; luxury!

As for the filter, it is totally different from Hollister's, which is quite big and rectangular; guess it was just a coincidence we had the same problem with different pouches.

Pelican is an Eakin company and after a couple of initial mix-ups when I changed to them last year, I have had exceptional service from them. The phone is always answered quickly, staff are very friendly and helpful, and deliveries are well organized. The nice touch of including a packet of mini chocolate eggs with my last delivery went down well too. It's also nice that they don't push their own make products, unlike my previous supplier who also never answered the phone. I am a happy convert to Pelican!! I don't know anyone else who uses them either as our hospital guides us to use Salts, who have a local office.

I had also considered the Coloplast Mio pouches, but couldn't see the convex listed in the UK. However, I did request samples from Coloplast but, like other companies I have approached, they confirmed receipt of my request but didn't send the samples. I think this is because they require assessment from a stoma nurse before they will supply convex pouch samples. The Mio pouches do sound promising if you can get them in your country.

Hope you find an early solution to your problem.

Regards, John

LadyHope

Hi Ngaire, I apologize for the delayed post. I have not visited my email site for a while. The pouch deodorant that I find most successful is Na'Scent and M9. Although I have tried others and they work somewhat, these work the best for me. I also add a few drops to a new fresh pouch too. I believe by doing this, it lessens smell. You may want to contact Na'Scent and request a sample too. They are very helpful and will send one to you to try prior to a purchase. Hope this helps. Have a great weekend. LH