Rectal discharge after loop ileostomy: Is it normal?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on managing rectal discharge after a loop ileostomy.
northeyalan

Hi all.

I have recently had a loop ileostomy, and now 5 weeks since my operation. But I'm getting discharge from my bum, it's not mucus, it looks like the same stuff that's in my bag. It's not loads but now getting the sensation to go to the toilet. Is this normal?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dragon2

Hi Julie here, my son is ten and has an ileostomy too. He has a loop stoma. He has no nerves in his large intestine. I said, "So why leave a loop stoma when there's no nerves?"!!! The surgeon said, "All around your large intestine are little holes that get rid of the waste in the organ part of our bodies. So some people have mucus or some people have bits of poo." Well, that sucks because my son can't feel it coming out until it's there in boxes!!! Why do you think we got the ileostomy?!

To keep it away and a build up now, we have to use glycerol suppositories every 3 weeks. Then we have no bit of discharge!

Hope that helps!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
dragon2

Hi Julie here, my son is ten and has an ileostomy too. He has a loop stoma. He has no nerves in his large intestine. I said, "So why leave a loop stoma when there's no nerves?"!!! The surgeon said, "All around your large intestine are little holes that get rid of the waste in the organ part of our bodies. So some people have mucus or some people have bits of poo." Well, that sucks because my son can't feel it coming out until it's there in boxes!!! Why do you think we got the ileostomy?!

To keep it away and a build up now, we have to use glycerol suppositories every 3 weeks. Then we have no bit of discharge!

Hope that helps!

dragon2

Sorry, didn't mean to send it twice!!

dragon2

Sorry, didn't mean to send it twice!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
kiakaha

Yes, it's normal. Don't worry about it unless you get any blood. If that happens, see your doctor. I have had the same for as long as I have had my stoma, which is 7 years. Cheers, Annie.