BCIR or Not? Seeking advice on ileostomy alternatives and experiences.

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Benny3613

I've had an ileostomy for more than 20 years. In the last 3 years, I've had issues with tolerating tape/faceplate and a hernia. I am changing my pouch on an average of once a day, twice if I swim or hike. I'm an active person who loves being outdoors, especially in the water. I would love to hear from people who have had a BCIR or who elected not to. What brought you to your decision, and have you had any regrets?

Also, because I know the insurance game, are there any surprises to be aware of with the operation? Post-op or supplies?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Hi Benny, I have done some research into the BCIR surgery and it seems like it would be a better solution than the pouch on the exterior that we are all accustomed to. Since my surgery is less than 2 years old, I thought I would wait awhile before putting myself through any further surgery. Good luck with your journey and I look forward to reading some other posts on this topic. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
PatinPickering

Hi Benny. I'm not up on BCIR surgery but I too have 20+ years ostomy experience. A number of years into my adventure, I began picture framing with Hypa-Fix tape: it extends wear of the flange; it diminishes leakage especially at natural creases. I played goal in senior men's ice hockey league until about ten years ago (i.e. age 50) with absolutely NO on-ice surprises!

I had 4 hernia surgeries with the final 3 being done laparoscopically. Touch wood, the problem is in the past! I am a strong proponent of this minimally invasive approach: in on Friday morning and home on Saturday at noon.

spinbot

I have adhesive allergies, that I learned the hard way with my flanges that have the paper tape around the outside. I had irritated my skin so much, it started weeping clear fluid. Ever try putting tape on wet skin ..... doesn't stick very well. It turned out to be a yeast infection (that my girlfriend wasn't so happy to hear about after her having issues with getting them in the months past, for what was an unknown reason). I got the issue fixed and stopped using flanges with a tape barrier. But, then I started running into greater leakage issues. Maybe it's just the shape of my stomach, but without the tape barrier, it would be less than a day before the flange would lift at the top to the point I would see part of my stoma.

So....the best solution I've found lately is that I use Convatec moldable flanges with the tape barrier. The adhesive on the tape is the same as the flange, so my skin doesn't break out. I don't stop there, as I find the tape barrier slides on my skin and lifts after a few days.

My second layer of protection is the 6" Duoderm sheets. I cut them into 3 strips and then notch them out in the center about 1/3 of the way. I then frame the two sides and then the top, around the plastic part of the flange the bag clips onto.

I get 4 - 6 days wear out of this, depending on how often I shower. The Duoderm around the outside acts as a second barrier. If I lose the first seal closest to the stoma, I then have that backup to give me time to get a new appliance put on.

The Duoderm is expensive, but my employment benefits cover 100% of costs, so it doesn't matter to me.

One side note, by changing less, my skin is happier. If I have a leakage in the first few days, removing the flange from my skin is more difficult and can sometimes rip the skin.

lavagirl

Hi, I have a BCIR since 2008. I won't say that I haven't had any problems. Pouchitis and I have been in the hospital for acute kidney failure. I know that sounds bad but I got the kidney failure due to being dehydrated. Other than those two things, my health regarding the BCIR is fine. I do not regret getting the BCIR. I think I would have lost my mind if I didn't. If you have any questions, email me. I'm 48. I had UC and the JPouch. Have a great day.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Penguins7

Hi Lavagirl, I am very curious about the BCIR. I am almost 2 years into the ileostomy and would love to unload this bag. How often do you have to empty the BCIR? Any problems with accidents with BCIR? Did you have an ileostomy first and then the BCIR? How was surgery? Thanks for your post. Penguins7

lavagirl

I had a permanent ileostomy first. I couldn't believe that I had to live the rest of my life with a bag, so I started to do some research. I empty my pouch about 5x per day. Lots of people just do it 3-4x.

There are no accidents with the BCIR, unless something went wrong with the surgery. I was sick one time and I fainted while emptying my pouch (you have to use a catheter). The catheter slipped out of my hand and of course the liquid from the catheter fell on the floor. The surgery, well you're in the hospital for about 28 days so the nurses help you all the time. Actually, I didn't want to leave at first. I was afraid that I'd do something wrong. YES, there is a lot of pain, but that's what morphine is for. LOL After surgery, I don't remember anything for the first 3 days. Your abdomen will look HORRIBLE. Basically, it looked bad before, due to the previous surgeries. The pouch is internal and self-sealing. There are websites that have info about the surgery. I had my surgery in FL. The doctors and nurses there are EXCELLENT.