Complications after ileostomy surgery - Should I proceed with J pouch?

Replies
Views
Matt Steele

It's been two weeks since my ileostomy surgery and I'm still in the hospital. First complication, 3 days after my hemoglobin was at a 5.3, yup should've been passed out. They found there was an 800cc hematobin so I had to get cut open again, best part, the doctor said it wasn't even on the side they really operated on. 2nd complication, I had a small blockage, my bowels didn't fully start back up. Tomorrow I'm getting an image scan because I am still really nauseous and haven't had an appetite. Sorry, my spelling is horrible. This is all making me regret doing the surgery, and now I don't even know if I want to do the 2nd surgery for the J pouch. Anyone else have this many problems and went on with the J pouch? How was it in the end?

LadyHope
Hi Matt, welcome to the site. Unfortunately, I opted for a permanent ileostomy when I had my surgery last year. I just could not see myself going back for two follow-up surgeries. There are many people on this site who have information about J-pouches. You may want to peruse the webpage. Also, you may want to Google J-pouches. I believe there is a site dedicated to those individuals living with a J-pouch. What part of Philly are you from? I travel to the city periodically... it is a great city, lots to do and much history. Keep posting and hope you are discharged from the hospital soon. Take care. LH
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,589 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

elbenzs88

Are you still in the hospital? Our stories sound similar.

elbenzs88

Stories

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Alice. She lived in a small village called Wonderland. Alice loved to explore the forest near her house. One day, she stumbled upon a magical door. She opened the door and found herself in a strange land. The land was filled with talking animals and peculiar creatures. Alice went on many adventures and met interesting characters like the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter. Eventually, she found her way back home and lived happily ever after.

In another story, there was a brave knight named Sir Lancelot. He was known for his courage and loyalty. Sir Lancelot went on a quest to rescue a princess from an evil dragon. Along the way, he faced many challenges and fought fierce battles. With his bravery and skill, Sir Lancelot defeated the dragon and saved the princess. The kingdom celebrated his victory, and Sir Lancelot became a legendary hero.

These stories teach us valuable lessons about bravery, curiosity, and the power of imagination. They remind us that anything is possible if we believe in ourselves and never give up.

elbenzs88

Are you still in the hospital? Our stories sound similar.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
elbenzs88

Stories

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Alice. She lived in a small village called Wonderland. Alice loved to explore the forest near her house. One day, she stumbled upon a magical door. She opened the door and found herself in a strange land filled with talking animals and peculiar creatures. Alice went on many adventures and met interesting characters like the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter. She learned valuable lessons about friendship and bravery. In the end, Alice returned home with a heart full of memories and a mind full of stories to share.