Ostomy appliance coming off during exercise - need help!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Rollin Sean

Hi,

I'm new to the site so hello everyone. I had an ileostomy in May and still trying to find products that will work for me.

I'm paraplegic following a spinal cord injury in a motorcycle accident 3 years ago and now race a handcycle for exercise and fun, however when I'm training and I start sweating my wafer is coming away and I'm getting in a mess. Also due to my paralysis I often don't even know when it is leaking!

I've tried quite a few different products but right now I'm using Salts one piece and Coloplast Brava skin barrier spray, following advice I've been warming the wafer and making sure I'm dry before fitting the bag. My stoma nurse gave a few different types of flange extenders to try but these are also coming away when I start sweating.

I really need a solution to this because my confidence is rock bottom and I want to be out riding my bike and not worrying about my bag coming off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kbd

I use Hollister Barrier Rings and they hold on my wafer quite well. Might be worth trying:

http://www.hollister.com/us/files/care_tips/tips_Adapt20Barrier20Rings20(Flat).pdf

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Rollin Sean

Thanks for the reply.

My stoma nurse has just given me Eakin seals to try and the last few days have been great so far.

kbd

Awesome :-)

Snookis Mum

Hi Rollin

I sweat a lot - exercising at the gym and biking in Florida - I use Coloplast Brava seals with Stomahesive powder around the stoma. If I'm really going to sweat a lot, I also use the Brava elastic barrier strips which fit around the whole wafer. I get a whole week out of my appliance, even in the Florida summer.

Good luck!

Sandi

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
GraphX12

I had my ileostomy a year and a half ago and have been using Hollister Barrier Rings and products since my surgery. I sweat, shower, and have not yet had any problems with the barrier rings pulling away. I change mine every 4 to 5 days, showering every day, and when I remove it the adhesive is still quite secure. Sometimes almost hard to peel away.

Daisy123

Hi there. I use Brava protective sheets under a Coloplast flange. I started using the sheets because Coloplast flanges give me a skin rash. But I discovered that with sweating, the sheets are great. They stick super well and moisture seems to make them swell rather than peel away. The flange also adheres really well on top of the sheets, it just takes a few minutes of applying firm pressure once you've stuck them together. You just cut a hole in the sheet to fit around the stoma, apply the sheet, then a barrier ring if you use one, then the flange.

Good luck!

Mrs.A

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the site. I haven't tried these yet but am waiting for a free sample. I have read good things about them and may have even watched a YouTube video. Check out the website and see what you think. Anyone can send a request for some samples to try.

Hope you find a solution soon, leaks are annoying!

http://alpglobal.com/Sure-Seal-TM-Rings.html

stomafart

Hi Collin,

I used Coloplast extenders all the time and they are great. I have an ileostomy and also had a proctectomy but I have decided to take the plunge within the last 2 weeks and have gone to aquafit which is the first time I have been swimming in 3 years. The extra extension on the bag has been great and I use a bag without a cover for swimming so that I can then change it when I get home without my clothes getting wet. I am in the pool for an hour and the Coloplast extenders are great, give it a try but stretch them slightly when you put them on and good luck.

Rollin Sean

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Definitely had a breakthrough this week with the new products my Stoma nurse has given me.

I'm now using a Pelican convex bag and the Eakin seals and some silicone glue that I put a light coating on the wafer. I've also been putting on some Coloplast flange extenders as extra extra security when I'm out training.

The difference this has made is incredible! My confidence that the bag won't suddenly come off leaving me in an embarrassing mess has soared. All the accidents and hence sore skin were really getting me down, life can be challenging as it is being in a wheelchair without those worries so it's really been a weight off my mind the last week.

Long may it continue!

ChefAdonis

The Coloplast Belt-shaped extenders are awesome. I definitely recommend them for extra protection.

Xlshrimp

Good thread! Some products I've never heard of here. I use the Hollister cut-your-own skin barrier sheets with their appliances and the belt because I'm pretty hard on them. Their belts have declined in quality, but the bags hold up pretty well. I usually fold up some paper towel and put it underneath between the appliance and my skin, and change it a couple of times during days of extreme exertion. I also wear two clips; that's saved me more times than I remember. Cheers from CND.

Ostomytalk

I've been through it all. I found the best overall improvement that I've made to my health is diet. I think over the years of improper eating was the biggest contributor to my colitis. So any questions, just fire away.